1997-09-26 - Re: Why no version of SAFE removes export ctrls, and all are dangerous

Header Data

From: “John Smith” <jsmith58@hotmail.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 96c42aca742fb432c252608244594948f2c3278c63c3034479a825e2eaa3f4b1
Message ID: <19970926000039.26898.qmail@hotmail.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:21:42 +0800

Raw message

From: "John Smith" <jsmith58@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:21:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Why no version of SAFE removes export ctrls, and all are    dangerous

Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>:

            Sure,
            removing export controls completely would benefit
            everyone, but SAFE doesn't go that far: Only software
            "that is generally available" overseas may be exported.
            Which means if I invent a new data-scrambling method
            that nobody overseas has developed, I'm screwed.

This is wrong.  I quoted the part earlier removing restrictions on
generally available software.  Here is what they say about that:

"(A) the term 'generally available' means, in the case of software
(including software with
encryption capabilities), software that is offered for sale, license, or
transfer to any person without
restriction, whether or not for consideration, including, but not
limited to, over-the-counter retail
sales, mail order transactions, phone order transactions, electronic
distribution, or sale on approval;

There's nothing about it having to be available overseas.  You are
probably confusing it with the hardware part:

"(4) HARDWARE WITH ENCRYPTION CAPABILITIES. -- The Secretary shall
authorize the
export or reexport of computer hardware with encryption capabilities if
the Secretary determines
that a product offering comparable security is commercially available
outside the United States
from a foreign supplier, without effective restrictions.

But that part is hardware only.  Software just has to be freely
available to anyone who wants it.  It's almost like this was written
just for cypherpunks.

"John