1997-09-25 - InfoWar 20 (Part III of ‘The True Story of the InterNet’)

Header Data

From: A Player To Be Named Later <aptbnl@dev.null>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 991d705ec1d3da5e6bb9f0cf70ce708246e54b0e6c141046e04f644b10242fdf
Message ID: <342A0A5F.7101@dev.null>
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 15:17:11 +0800

Raw message

From: A Player To Be Named Later <aptbnl@dev.null>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 15:17:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: InfoWar 20 (Part III of 'The True Story of the InterNet')

Title: The True Story of the Internet Part II

The True Story of the InterNet

Part III

InfoWar

Final Frontier of the Digital Revolution

Behind the ElectroMagnetic
Curtain

by TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>

Copyright 1997 Pearl Publishing

InfoWar Table of Contents

A Billionaire To Be Named Later

A Billionaire To Be Named Later

"Did you notice the way 'Mojave' was misspelled?"
the Shadow asked the Rich Man.

Bad BillyG nodded slowly, looked up at the Shadow and said, "I
also noticed that he used the 'replay' remailer and spoke of 'deja
vu.'"

"Indio?" the Shadow asked Bad BillyG, not having
to wait for his confirmation to know that the anonymous writer
was referring to the Wackenhut/Cabazon weapons fencing operation.

"I've got someone checking the physical site as we speak,"
BillyG told the Shadow, "but I think it's obvious
that the references to Lefty and the tassel-haired young woman
firing a shotgun with one hand means that these people recreated
an event that happened over a decade and a half ago, only..."

Bad BillyG paused to swallow, "...only this
time, the targets are us, not them."

The Shadow and his earthly compatriot turned their attention to
the anonymous post, once again, confirming what they already knew,
and scanning for more details of the writers veiled message, therein.

Subject: Not-News Gorilla NutWork Rocket-Launched
From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com

[Not-News NetWork-- Mohave Desert] Aug 4/97

WHAT DOES A FIVE HUNDRED POUND GORILLA READ AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE?
- sog

The "Not-News Gorilla NutWork" was rocket-launched in
the Mohave Desert
early yesterday morning by a rag-tag bunch of paramilitarist computer

gurus who unveiled an InterNet Bill of Bytes that included the
words,
"MicroSoft shall make no laws..."

Angered by a self-appointed council of computer industry magnates
who
have announced their intention to seize fascist control of the
quickly
burgeoning Information Highway by controlling the definition of
all
information, the rebels set up a shooting range which contained
a wide
variety of targets ranging from copies of the Wall Street Journal
life-sized cardboard cut-outs of a hooded figure referred to only
as,
"a billionaire to be named later."

A Che Guerva look-alike named Lefty (a nickname changed from "Lucky"

after a laboratory accident took three of the fingers on his right

hand) spoke openly about the group's loose-knit plans to impose
their
own ratings system on corporations who have "taken it upon
themselves
to decide what is news and what is not--what is information and
what
is obscenity."

"We have decided on two classes of ratings." explained
a tassel-
haired young woman as she slid shells into a Winchester Defender

sitting on her lap. "On..." she said, lifting the shotgun
with one
hand, then liberating the hooded head from a nearby cardboard
cut-out,
before turning back to say, with a Cheshire grin, "...and
off."

The wide array of luxury automobiles and high-end computer gear
on
display at the gathering lent credence to the claim of a quiet
older
man whose only comment during my presence was, "The people
here
probably have a combined access to more soft targets than the
NSA."
He turned to punctuate his statement, as many others did that
day,
with a volley of fire that penetrated targets carrying the corporate

logos of a variety of big-name players in the computer industry.

Surprisingly, the conversation consisted almost totally of issues

surrounding privacy, self-determination and freedom from censorship,

with hardly a word being spoken about potential plans of action
by
individuals or the group. As the quiet man's equally quiet wife

spoke in what seemed to be a deathly whisper, telling me, "Everyone

here knows what they have to do.", a man with a crude, homemade

rocket-launcher sent a flaming projectile into the side of a small

propane tank several hundred feet away, as if punctuating the
last
and most meaningful statement of the day.

After quietly dispersing a few minutes later, the group packed
up
their weapons and climbed into their vehicles without a word between

them, each seemingly going their own separate ways.

I stayed on after the last of the others had left, reflecting
on the
fact that I had arrived at this gathering by virtue of a late-night

phone call to my unlisted number, and found that I knew none of
the
participants in the activities.

I had the strangest feeling that the others there had arrived
by the
same anonymous process as I had, and I wondered if they were equally

mystified as to who had arranged this impromptu assembly of apparent

strangers joined in a common cause. Immediately, one of the pickup

trucks driving away backfired, and I thought of synchronicity,
knowing
that the truck would backfire once again, which it immediately
did,
before disappearing quietly out of sight.

Climbing into my own vehicle, I took a last look at the site,
which
had been cleaned and left exactly the way it was when I had first

arrived on the scene. I experienced a moment of deja vu, as if
I had
just arrived and none of what I had experienced that day had truly

transpired.

Somewhere in the distance, a vehicle backfired...

Disclaimer - I am not a reporter, I am not a paramilitarist, and
I am
not a computer expert. I have no idea what I was doing there and
I am
not even certain that I should be speaking about the event...but
I am.

A Player To Be Named Later put down the 'Not-News Gorilla NutWork
Rocket-Launched' post and scanned portions of the INSLAW/Octopus
report from NaziWorld, once again.

The INSLAW Octopus
Software piracy, conspiracy, cover-up, stonewalling,
covert action: Just another decade at the Department of Justice

By Richard L. Fricker
But prior to his arrest in 1991, Riconosciuto provided the
Hamiltons with an affidavit that once again brought Brian into
the Inslaw picture. "I engaged in some software development
and modification work in 1983 and 1984 on proprietary PROMIS computer
software product," he stated. "The copy of PROMIS on
which I worked came from the US Department of Justice. Earl W.
Brian made it available to me through Wackenhut (a security company
with close FBI and CIA connections) after acquiring it from Peter
Videnieks, who was then a Department of Justice contracting official
with the responsibility for PROMIS software. I performed the modifications
to PROMIS in Indio, Calif.; Silver Springs, Md.; and Miami, Fla."

The modifications included a telecommunications "trap door"
that would let the US Government eavesdrop on any other organization
using the pirated software, Riconosciuto said.

Although Brian denies any involvement with Inslaw or Riconosciuto,
the House Judiciary Committee received a report from a special
task force of the Riverside County, Calif., Sheriff's Office and
District Attorney, stating that on the evening of Sept. 10, 1981,
arms dealers, buyers and various intelligence operatives gathered
at the Cabazon Indian Reservation near Indio, Calif., for a demonstration
of night warfare weapons. The demonstration was orchestrated jointly
by Wackenhut and the Cabazon Indian tribe. (Many published reports
allege that the Wackenhut/Cabazon joint venture served as a weapons
fencing operation for Oliver North's Iran- Contra dealings.)

Bad BillyG involved in that mess?
A Player To Be Named Later shook his head negatively, to himself.
It seemed unlikely, but it would explain a few things which
had been troubling him, lately. And it would mean that the anonymous
poster knew enough intimate details of an event that had been
shrouded in deep secrecy to pose a threat to all those connected
with the Indio affair.
It would also explain the apparently strange ending to a major
play by the news and computer industry heavyweights calling themselves
the 'Internet Content Coalition' that the anonymous post seemed
to be threatening.

For starters, Microsoft made an immediate about-face, within hours
of the anonymous post, on their plans to include technology supporting
the Internet Content Coalition's aims in their next version of
Internet Explorer.

From - Wed Aug 06 19:31:05 1997
From: nobody@neva.org (Neva Remailer)
Subject: MicroGorilla Postpones Rocket-Launch Plans Until..."likely
sometime next year."

Steven Vonder Haar wrote, the very next day:
> Microsoft Corp. has tabled plans to include new technology
in its
> Internet Explorer 4.0 browser that would have made "news"
oriented
> sites exempt from content rating standards promoted for use
on the
> Internet.

>Anonymous wrote:
> > Angered by a self-appointed council of computer industry
magnates who
> > have announced their intention to seize fascist control
of the quickly
> > burgeoning Information Highway by controlling the definition
of all
> > information, the rebels set up a shooting range which
contained a wide
> > variety of targets ranging from copies of the Wall Street
Journal to
> > life-sized cardboard cut-outs of a hooded figure referred
to only as,
> > "a billionaire to be named later."

Steven Vonder Haar wrote, the very next day:
> RSAC President C. Dianne Martin said Microsoft is running
out of time
> to implement the separate designation for news sites before
the launch
> of the 4.0 version of Explorer later this year.

>Anonymous wrote:
> > "We have decided on two classes of ratings."
explained a tassel-
> > haired young woman as she slid shells into a Winchester
Defender
> > sitting on her lap. "On..." she said, lifting
the shotgun with one
> > hand, then liberating the hooded head from a nearby
cardboard cut-out,
> > before turning back to say, with a Cheshire grin, "...and
off."

Steven Vonder Haar wrote, the very next day:
> However, the company
> plans to include the news designation in the 5.0 version
of Explorer
> when it is made available..."likely sometime next year."

There wasn't much doubt that 'Nobody' was pointing out to one
and all that the Internet Content Coalition was under siege, and
that the opening salvo by 'Anonymous' had brought the largest
corporation in history to its knees, in surrender.
A bold claim, but would this declaration of war in the battle
of the giants to seize control of the official reigns of news
and information on the InterNet be backed up in the end, by across
the board results?

A Player To Be Named Later pored over a FreeAmerica report on
the resurrection of the Inslaw ghosts in the mid-1990's.
Federal Corruption
INSLAW
Copyright FreeAmerica and Harry V. Martin, 1995

Congressman Jack Brooks of Texas has opened a new investigation
into the INSLAW case. Brooks is investigating allegations that
Justice Department officials, including Meese, conspired to force
INSLAW into bankruptcy in order to deliver the firm's software
to a rival company. The rival firm, according to court records
and law enforcement officials, was headed by Earl W. Brian, a
former Cabinet officer under then California Governor Ronald Reagan
and a longtime friend of several high-ranking Republican officials.

[Earl W. Brian! Who had seized control of United Press International
(UPI) in a deal every bit as shady as the Inslaw affair...]
On March 21, 1992, [Michael] Riconoscuito stated in an affidavit
to the Court and Congress, and before he was arrested, the following:

During the 1980s he served as the Director of Research for
a joint venture between the Wackenhut Corporation of Coral Gables,
Florida, and the Cabazon Band of Indians of Indio, California.
The joint venture was located on the Cabazon reservation.

[Near the Salton Sea, a long-time haunt of the Author, who
brought a strange variety of computer gurus to the area, purportedly
for Corvina fishing, but what was the real story about
their travels there?]
The Wackenhut-Cabazon joint venture sought to develop and/or
manufacture certain materials that are used in military and national
security operations, including night vision goggles, machine guns,
fuel- air explosives, and biological and chemical warfare weapons.
The Wackenhut-Cabazon joint venture was intended to support
the needs of a number of FOREIGN governments and forces, including
forces and governments in Central America and the Middle East.
The Contras in Nicaragua represented one of the most important
priorities for the joint venture.
The Wackenhut-Cabazon joint venture maintained close liaison
with 'certain elements' of the United States Government, including
representatives of intelligence, military and law enforcement
agencies.
Among the frequent visitors to the Wackenhut-Cabazon joint
venture were Peter Videnieks of the U.S. Department of Justice
in Washington, D.C., and a close associate of Videnieks by the
name of Earl W. Brian. Brian is a private businessman who lives
in Maryland and who has maintained close business ties with the
U.S. intelligence community for many years.
The purpose of the PROMIS software modification that I made
in 1983 and 1984 was to support a plan for the implementation
of PROMIS in law enforcement and intelligence agencies worldwide.
Earl W. Brian was spearheading the plan for this worldwide use
of the PROMIS computer software.
Some of the modifications that I made were specifically designed
to facilitate the implementation of PROMIS within two agencies
of the Government of Canada: the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
(RCMP) and the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service (CSIS).
Earl W. Brian would check with me from time to time to make certain
that the work would be completed in time to satisfy the schedule
for the RCMP and CSIS implementations of PROMIS.

[The RCMP and CSIS...the same entities that the Author had
shared a Russian language class with in Regina, Saskatchewan,
just before the Moscow Olympics. Who had he encountered in that
group who would later be instrumental in acquiring the PROMIS
software for the Canadians?]
The propriety version of PROMIS, as modified by me, was, in
fact implemented in both the RCMP and the CSIS in Canada. It was
my understanding that Earl W. Brian had sold this version of PROMIS
to the Government of Canada.

A Player To Be Named Later suddenly remembered the email to the
CypherPunks mailing list and the corporate headquarters of the
Internet Content Coalition that had been forwarded from the LMBoyd
Website, which was known to be a forum for the Circle of Eunuchs
to send veiled messages to set the stage for their more pointed
attacks on the Dark Forces.
It was an email that was sent out when the dark specter of the
Internet Content Coalition first began to flex their muscles.

From - Fri Jul 25 19:38:14 1997
Subject: Sampler: July 25
To: multiple recipients of <sampler@lmboyd.com>
The serial killer does in one person at a time in
intervals. The mass killer murders however many in a
single mad rampage. The mass killer is usually suicidal.
The serial killer isn't.
Q. Does any animal deliberately stalk human beings for
food?
A. None but the polar bear. At least, such is the claim
of the experts.
LMBoyd Web Site / U. S. Newspapers / Start Email / Stop Email

http://www.LMBoyd.com/postscript.htm

"Of course!"

A Player To Be Named Later slapped his forehead, amazed that he
had not seen the connection sooner between the 'mass murderer,
serial killer stalking humans from the North' email, the Not-News
threat singling out "a billionaire to be named later,"
and the email sent to the Internet Content Coalition players just
before they held the meeting where they effectively folded their
hand in their attempt to take over control over defining what
was 'official' news on the InterNet, and what was not.

He reread, once again, the anonymous post sent just hours before
the Internet Content Coalition's grand agenda bit the dust:

"In July, Anson Ng, a reporter for the Financial Times
of London
was shot and KILLED in Guatemala. He had reportedly been trying

to interview an American there named Jimmy Hughes, a one-time

director of security for the Cabazon Indian Reservation secret
projects.
"In April, a Philadelphia attorney named Dennis Eisman was
found
DEAD, killed by a single bullet in his chest. According to a former

federal official who worked with Eisman, the attorney was found
dead
in the parking lot where he had been due to meet with a woman
who
had crucial evidence to share substantiating Riconosciuto's claims.

"Both Eisman's and Ng's deaths were declared 'suicides' by

authorities.
"Fred Alvarez, a Cabazon tribal leader who was in vocal opposition

to the developments on the reservation, was found SHOT TO DEATH

WITH TWO FRIENDS in 1981. Their murder remains unsolved.

At last, the whole bizarre, implausible scenario finally came
together in A Player To Be Named Later's mind.

The Author's presence near the belly of the beast in Indio had
not been a mere coincidence. When the Internet Content Coalition
made their move, the Circle of Eunuchs already had the information
they needed to connect several of the players in the proposed
news cartel with the trail of deaths surrounding both those involved
in the INSLAW debacle and the reporters closing in on the real
story involved.
And they had made it more than plain that some of those involved
in the Wackenhut-Cabazon arms deals were now playing for the opposition...and
that bullets don't discriminate between the rich and the poor.

A Player To Be Named Later was still mystified as to how the Magic
Circle had been able to pull off such a bold, in-your-face maneuver
on some of the Titans of the news and computer industries.
In the early days, after the dissemination of "The Xenix
Chainsaw Massacre" had begun in 1989, the Circle of Eunuchs
had come under fierce attack from a variety of sources from within
the secret government hunting them. Mysterious deaths, established
careers going up in flames, overnight. The Magic Circle had quickly
disappeared far into the underground of computer society.
Then, the Circle had begun to show their hand, more and more,
now reaching the point where they could apparently do battle with
the heavyweights working behind the scenes with Gomez and the
Dark Allies. But A Player To Be Named Later hadn't seen any indication
that the Circle of Eunuchs had managed to gain possession of a
hole-card that could account for...unless...

"Casolaro!" A Player To Be Named Later whispered,
as if speaking the name aloud might bring down fire from the heavens.
Quickly, he did a disk search for a vaguely remembered article
from Conspiracy Nation...

Forwarded:
From the Patriot Archives ftp site at: ftp://tezcat.com/patriot

Conspiracy Nation -- Vol. 3 Num.

("Quid coniuratio est?")

THE OCTOPUS
===========
By Karen Bixman
(For The People *News Reporter*, 11/14/94)
On the morning of August 11, 1991, Danny Casolaro was found
dead
in the bathroom of his hotel room at the Sheraton Hotel in
Martinsburg, West Virginia. His wrists had been slashed ten
times; his briefcase and notes were missing. The authorities

labeled the death a suicide, and before Casolaro's family had

been contacted, the body was embalmed.

but with
absolutely nothing in the subject line of the message.

Damn! He had nailed it!

Karen Bixman's article had confirmed everything that A Player
To Be Named Later had increasingly suspected as his mind pored
over the mountain of information which had seemed so tentatively,
but treacherously, related.
Bixman had laid down an utterly astounding, twisted trail of closely
connected, mysterious deaths and blatant murders surrounding the
INSLAW and Iran-Contra misdeeds that completed the connections
between the past and current players in the battle for control
of world supremacy in computer information and communications.

What's more, the timing of the disappearance of Danny Casolaro's
extensive notes on the winding serpent of evil surrounding these
affairs coincided with the Magic Circle's unmistakable reentry
into manifest participation in the battle against the Evil One
and the Dark Forces under his command.

The Coupe de Gras, however, was the source of the Conspiracy Nation
newsletter.
Prairienet.org! From whence sprang the apparently unrelated Bureau42
clique who had seized the opportunity to host 'The True Story
of the InterNet' transcripts, despite the troubled and bloody
history of those who had done so in the past.
Bianca had mentioned to Mike Denney, at Basis Inc., that she had
been prepared to hack the Bureau42 servers when they came under
attack upon placing 'Part II' and 'Part III' on their system,
but that they had managed to clear up the problems that developed
on their own, and had done so in a surprisingly short period of
time.

Only one thing was still bothering A Player To Be Named Later.

Microsoft had been the first member of the Internet Content Coalition
to publicly fold their hand in the battle to control news and
information ratings across the InterNet, but Gates seemed, on
the surface, to be less visibly connected to the extremely messy
past misconduct of the others, and thus seemed to have the least
to lose if the shit hit the fan.
Gate's quick concession to the veiled threats had definitely been
the catalyst in causing the hasty retreat of the other members
of the news cartel that had seemed to be on the drawing board
for quite some time in the plans of Gomez and the Dark Allies...but
why?

Bill Gates had not become the richest and most overtly powerful
individual on the face of the earth by fighting against the grand
designs of the Evil One, but he seemed to be playing his cards
close to his chest, in a manner that suggested that he had an
agenda of his own that might not run exactly parallel to that
of the Dark Forces.

What was BillyG's game?
A Player To Be Named Later had been involved in the grand battle
taking place behind the scenes of everyday reality for long enough
to know that it was all done with mirrors.

"And each man, in his time, plays many parts." he
said, perplexed for the moment.

"To Shakespeare!" A Player To Be Named Later
said, lifting his glass in toast. "A member of the Magic
Circle, if there ever was one."
"If there ever was one..." he repeated, smiling
at his unintentional inside joke.

The Shadow was watching Bad BillyG closely, for any sign of subterfuge
in his inner demeanor.
"You're certain about Blanc Weber?" he asked,
once again.

"Well, I could be wrong, but we've investigated her thoroughly,
and every indication is that all that nonsense about her development
of the HydroCube is just that-nonsense."

BillyG shrugged his shoulders, apparently unconcerned with what
he regarded as a small, internal company matter.
"I could have her isolated, but I don't really see much
point. If she is hiding something, then it's probably better
not to let her know how closely she is being monitored. Perhaps
you should put some of the Dark Allies on her tail for a while,
in case there is something that my people have missed."

"No, I don't think that will be necessary." the
Shadow replied, casually.
He had instructed his men to monitor Blanc Weber's movements and
activities months ago, as well as those of the spooks Bad BillyG
had assigned to watch her. His own spooks had likewise turned
up nothing positive, but he had pressed the matter with Gates
in order to judge his reaction just the same.

"Well, her digital implant went according to plan,"
BillyG added, "so we will be able to yank her chain
on a moment's notice, if it becomes necessary to do so, in the
future."

The "billionaire to be named later" sat back and allowed
himself to indulge in the luxury of looking forward to the moment
when A Player To Be Named Later would find out much, much more
than he really wanted to know about Bad BillyG's plans for the
tattered remnants of the Magic Circle who were attempting to interfere
with his own vision of the direction the future of the InterNet
should take at this nadir point in time, when the battle for control
of virtual reality was about to explode into every single facet
of human life

Bubba Rom Dos thought about the forefather of his technical namesake,
who had so far managed to walk with the Evil One as far as the
bridge in his rise to riches, fame and power a hundred years in
the past.
The Cowboy, Priscilla, Alexis, Jonathan, and d'Shauneaux were
likewise joined with him in contemplation of this paradoxical
figure from the past whose role in the great battle between the
Forces of Light and the Forces of Darkness had remained an enigma
throughout the history and legends of the Circle of Eunuchs.

Friend or foe, there was no denying that Billy the Kid was going
to play a major role in the direction that the thundering train
of history was about to take as it approached the crossroads of
destiny on its way to an ElectroMagnetic Future where freedom
would hinge on the free flow of Taoist bytes routing around the
enslaving chains of Fascist bits that Gomez and the Dark Allies
had been carefully laying in place since the dawn of the Computer
Era.

Bubba Rom Dos, sage and savant, deviant and derelict, raised a
glass of "Bubba's Special Reserve" in toast, proclaiming
as the tattered remnants of the Magic Circle joined him in his
libations, "To Billy the Kid...or Bad BillyG...to
the things that he did...or to what he may be..."

The Trei Transponder began softly humming in the background, as
if trying to tell the small assembly something very, very important
for them to know.
Then it fell silent...

Copyright "Anonymous TruthMonger <billg@microsoft.com>"

"That's not a government backdoor <bug>.
It's a hacker's backdoor <feature>."

"The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"

"WebWorld & the Mythical Circle of Eunuchs"

"InfoWar (Part III of 'The True Story of the InterNet')

Soviet Union Sickle of Eunuchs Secret WebSite

Thread