1997-09-04 - Re: Dr. Dobbs CD-ROM outside the US?

Header Data

From: Alan <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
To: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Message Hash: a2babe271b1c37ff2925f730735dac61a7d998d273b76e9bf31bae6fba9df764
Message ID: <3.0.2.32.19970904142430.04533b20@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Reply To: <v03102805b033fa66e48f@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-04 21:44:23 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 05:44:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 05:44:23 +0800
To: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Subject: Re: Dr. Dobbs CD-ROM outside the US?

At 02:40 PM 9/4/97 -0400, Ray Arachelian wrote:

>All this jizzing aside, on how long it will take to get there is useless
>unless someone on the other side has an ftp server that can accept
>incoming files of that size? :)  I'm sure there are plenty of ftp crypto
>sites out there, but how many have incoming directories that will allow
>upto 650mb?  Or the equivalent of P.O. boxes and such for snail mailing of
>the CD's...
>
>Also, IMHO, if you do live outside of the USA and download the CD, you
>should make an anonymous donation of $100USD or whatever to Dr. Dobbs.
>The idea is to fuck with the ITARs, not to pirate Dr. Dobbs's stuff,
>after all, they were nice enough to make the stuff available... :)

Another recommendation is to subscribe.

Dr. Dobbs regularly publishes articles on encryption.  (There are a couple
of articles in this months issue, including an interview with Ron Rivest,
an article on the SSH protocol, and an article on the "block cipher square
algorythm".)  One of the few programming magazines I make sure to subscribe
to...

BTW, does anyone know of the strengths and weeknesses of the Square
algorythm published in the October Dr. Dobbs?

---
|              "That'll make it hot for them!" - Guy Grand               |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |alan@ctrl-alt-del.com|

Thread