1997-09-12 - Re: Are we men or mice? Re: House panel votes behind closed doors to build in Big Brother (fwd)

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@vorlon.mit.edu>
Message Hash: a94b6615aaeb5ae022b2554d48d220ef132079801064596533b027cae5d88a40
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.96.970912184035.23828A-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970912165432.3595D-100000@vorlon.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-12 23:42:39 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 07:42:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 07:42:39 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@vorlon.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Are we men or mice?  Re: House panel votes behind closed doors to build in Big Brother (fwd)

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> We have a goddamn right to use encryption without a government backdoor.

Frankly among certain crowds many backdoors and other bugs have been
detected in most OS's, how will the mother fuckers keep them from being
found and used?  I mean, all you have to do is simply get their attention
and have them snoop on you, meanwhile you watch all the packets and record
the weird ones and you've got a copy of their session.  Yeah, they may use
crypto on the back door, but even so, you now know their formats, and can
also disassemble the code.  When you do, you've got the hole and can
publish it.

Once you publish the hole and break the program.  Who will have confidence
in that program after it's broken?

After the evil laws, our jobs will be to break ALL GAK'ed software.  How
will they prevent that?  Passing more laws to make the exposure of bugs
and holes illegal?  Sort of like the cell scanner laws? :)

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com|you once again. I thought you were      |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |hiding, and you thought that I had run  |\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |away chasing the tail of dogma. I opened|.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|my eye and there we were....            |.....

Thread