1997-09-05 - Re: Show Me the Warheads!

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: ae499345c86b2e465681117812426ee8e8325db3d1c0d10a303ef445f168e990
Message ID: <v03102800b03541dc11e2@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <19970905040302.504.qmail@zipcon.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-05 05:22:55 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:22:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:22:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Show Me the Warheads!

At 9:03 PM -0700 9/4/97, Mike Duvos wrote:
>In an interview to be aired on "60 Minutes" this Sunday, Alexandr
>Lebed, former Russian National Security Advisor, will reveal that
>his country has lost track of more than 100 nuclear bombs made to
>look like suitcases, and has no idea what happened to them.
>
>Probably not a good time to visit the Zionist Entity. :)

I'm surprised this wasn't hushed up. The U.S. intelligence community has
known this for a long time, and reports to Congress have alluded to this.
Still, the Administration's position has tended to be that this is not as
much of a threat as it seems (this despite the interception of at least one
nuke near the Iranian border with one of the former Soviet republics--the
nukes _not_ intercepted are presumably now in Iran, etc.).

Interestingly, my first conscious exposure to our National Crypto Czar,
David Aaron, was when I read his first novel, a terrorist thriller called
"State Scarlet" (as I recall). It was about German terrorists gaining
access to battlefield nukes. (Again, from my memory of reading this, circa
ten years ago.)

Stay away from soft targets (Tel Aviv, Haifa, the ZOG section of Jerusalem,
New York, Washington, and so on--Harbors (e.g., Haifa, NYC) are pretty
likely targets, due to the extreme ease of delivery). But also be prepared
for major disruptions and panic even if you are nowhere near the blast.

Have at least a month's supply of canned and dried goods (noodles, rice,
cereals, ramen, etc.), and at least 30 gallons of water per person, for a
month's supply of water. Tips on all sorts of such planning can be found in
misc.survivalism.

(Having experienced the 7.1 earthquake in northern California in 1989, a
few miles from the epicenter, the biggest hassle was having to leave my
home to get supplies I'd foolishly neglected to get. In a major disruption,
the long lines and stranded cars could be the greatest threat.)

And have at least one gun you are competent with. And emergency lanterns,
in case the grid goes down. And so on.

(I just added a Honda 2.5 KW generator to my setup. Not the largest in
wattage, but very high quality, and enough to run what I would want to run.)

Oh, and after such a shock to the system, expect martial law and all of our
worst fears about Freeh and his Federal Police cracking down on all
dissidents.

--Tim