1997-09-26 - Re: Remailer Attack

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Costner” <pooh@efga.org>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: b45e9d624bee75809097d076eaf38d26ae683dadf5f772975727da49d46c60aa
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19970926074513.03949b90@mail.atl.bellsouth.net>
Reply To: <7e4f533938c10942e5d1ef49ca8e16da@anon.efga.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-26 12:08:40 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 20:08:40 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Costner" <pooh@efga.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 20:08:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Remailer Attack

At 03:03 AM 9/26/97 -0400, Monty Cantsin wrote:
>Right now it's [the remailer network] sort of usable, but only for the
>dedicated, and there aren't many of us.  I seem to be the only
>persistent authenticated nym who posts with any frequency.
>One problem with operating a nym is that people almost always respond
>to it with suspicion and hostility, even on this list.  It would be
>nice to have an ordinary looking e-mail address that took in messages,
>encrypted them for your public key, and then sent them out to
>alt.anonymous.messages for pickup.  Going the other way it would be
>nice if the account would accept signed messages and send them out as
>normal e-mail or news articles.  This would allow nyms to participate
>in NetWorld like everyone else.

Your desired functionality seems to be describing the operation of a nym
server, which you are not using.  With a nym server, your email address
would be something like cantsin@anon.efga.org, rather than
anon@anon.efga.org.  You do not get this capability when you use the
Georgia Cracker remailer, you would have to use the Redneck Remailer
instead.  There are currently hundreds of ordinary looking email addresses
on our nym server.  While Monty Cantsin may be a pseudonym you post under,
it is not a "nym" in remailer network terms.  Once you get a nym you can
also receive replies anonymously.

More information about how to get a nym can be found at
http://anon.efga.org/anon

  -- Robert Costner                  Phone: (770) 512-8746
     Electronic Frontiers Georgia    mailto:pooh@efga.org
     http://www.efga.org/            run PGP 5.0 for my public key

Thread