1997-09-30 - Re: FCPUNX:EPIC Alert 4.13 on crypto and more

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: bac716a53a99ba9dadb853e86b4331c2278a7620e1eb8d5de152e6e779149eba
Message ID: <199709301934.MAA27888@proxy4.ba.best.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 03:52:21 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 03:52:21 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: FCPUNX:EPIC Alert 4.13 on crypto and more

At 03:12 PM 9/26/97 -0700, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> Question to ponder for the weekend: if it took this kind of "compromise"
> for a bill to clear the unabashedly pro-business Commerce committee, what
> will it take for a bill to become law?

Crypto legislation is guaranteed to be bad.  We have been saying that
for years, and now it has been demonstrated.

Just say no to crypto legislation.

> The fate of the SAFE bill is now uncertain.  The original Goodlatte
> language has been substantially amended by five House committees, with
> contradictory results.

No contradiction:  There are bad amendments and there are really bad
amendments, and there are menacing and totalitarian amendments.

> As such, SAFE may no longer be a viable vehicle
> for the reform of encryption policy that it was originally intended to
> promote.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|