1997-09-04 - Re: Dr. Dobbs CD-ROM outside the US?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: c456efd48b03a096a7c521562b5be7a16b6e29965573b63f27c94dd1da91dfca
Message ID: <v03102805b033fa66e48f@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <19970903171900.47376@sequent.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-04 05:53:12 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 13:53:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 13:53:12 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Dr. Dobbs CD-ROM outside the US?

At 10:01 PM -0700 9/3/97, Lucky Green wrote:
>At 05:19 PM 9/3/97 +0200, Unicorn wrote:
>>Hi Guys (F/M),
>>
>>I am seeing messages about the Dr.Dobbs Crypto CD-ROM not being received
>>by persons inside the US, but right  now I wonder if this information is
>>or will  be available,  in this  form, outside of  the US?
>
>I predict that entire image file will be available for ftp within 48 hours
>of release of the CDROM.

Since when does it take 48 hours for a FedEx delivery to Europe?

(Not to mention a direct transmissio, except there the chances of detection
are actually greater.)

(Hey, maybe someone could _print out_ the crypto code in the CD-ROM, then
export the print out, then recruit a team in Europe to pretend to OCR it,
and so on. Then they could announce that the text had been "converted from
text back to bits" and all the legal mumbo jumbo will be copacetic. The OCR
charade is a pretty good legal defense.)

--Tim May