1997-09-17 - Re: National Security Committee amendments to SAFE

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Ben Cox <cme@cybercash.com>
Message Hash: cd175dc11eb4a9dc333ee570c1cde7399e727d927b32b16f0e5a5965ca7b0af0
Message ID: <v03102800b0460d4e1e8d@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19970917161510.03264cb0@cybercash.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-17 23:13:58 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 07:13:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 07:13:58 +0800
To: Ben Cox <cme@cybercash.com>
Subject: Re: National Security Committee amendments to SAFE

At 2:24 PM -0700 9/17/97, Ben Cox wrote:
>Carl Ellison says:
>>>Decisions made by the Secretary of Commerce with the concurrence of the
>>>Secretary of Defense with respect to exports of encryption products under
>>>this section shall not be subject to judicial review.
>>
>>I take it this last sentence is intended to kill Bernstein, Karn and Junger
>>and any other cases we might try to bring.  Correct?
>
>How could that possibly be binding?  Anything the court system thinks is
>subject to judicial review is subject to judicial review.

To all responding to Carl's comments, we talked about this last week.

It is clear that the law cannot preclude Supreme Court rule, of the law
itself. It is also likely that any particular target of the surveillance
could challenge the basic constitutionality of the law.

Cf. last week's traffic on Cypherpunks.

--Tim May