1997-09-10 - Re: House National Security committee guts SAFE, worse than no bill

Header Data

From: Seth Finkelstein <sethf@mit.edu>
To: jseiger@cdt.org
Message Hash: d37be0f9ca1ef2e8e6eac54dfcb19ef98dbc8dff062b58987ac1d8a9d74e4026
Message ID: <9709100755.AA05099@frumious-bandersnatch.MIT.EDU>
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:01:50 +0800

Raw message

From: Seth Finkelstein <sethf@mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:01:50 +0800
To: jseiger@cdt.org
Subject: Re: House National Security committee guts SAFE, worse than no bill

>>At 2:17 PM -0700 9/9/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>>It's time for advocates of crypto-freedom to turn obstructionist and
>>oppose all legislation dealing with encryption.

> From: Jonah Seiger <jseiger@cdt.org>
> And expect to accomplish what?

	Freedom from embarrassment? I don't consider the Digital
Telephony debacle to have been lived down yet. I certainly don't have
a lot of faith that the people who brought us that are going to do any
better nowadays.
	I sense another dirty little deal is in the works, where we're
told they didn't "support" it, but "it could have been worse".

> To stick our heads in the sand now would just make it easier for the FBI to
> roll right over us.  We still need to fight the expected FBI key recovery

	OK. How about telling us how that's going to be done. And at
what point will you start calling for megaphones and marches
(metaphorically). If the answer is "never", well, I think that settles
just how much of a factor you'll be.

Seth Finkelstein
sethf@mit.edu

Thread