1997-09-06 - Re: Crypto Hearings

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: e37155abdee418f17c47a5ce697ce0ba0383cb29e16fc6b616255cde0436f3a9
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970906091943.19528C-100000@well.com>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19970906161132.006eb860@pop.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-06 16:37:10 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 00:37:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 00:37:10 +0800
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: Crypto Hearings

In my post "Mandatory key escrow bill text" yesterday evening I included a
URL to a Reuters dispatch about the SAFE hearing on Sep 4. I also
forwarded the article to f-c, not sure about cypherpunks.

The Sep 4 SAFE hearing seems to have been much more balanced than the
Senate one the day before. I don't have a transcript of it, though.

Beware the National Security committee markup and vote on SAFE next week.
Mandatory key escrow is only one card the government has to play.

-Declan

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, John Young wrote:

> Declan, or anyone, are there any transcipts of this SAFE hearing,
> or news reports, or other documents:
>
> September 4, 1997
>
> SECURITY AND FREEDOM THROUGH ENCRYPTION ACT
>
> Committee on Commerce: Subcommittee on Telecommunications, Trade, and
> Consumer Protection held a hearing on H.R. 695, Security and Freedom
> Through encryption (SAFE) Act. Testimony was heard from Representatives
> Goodlatte and Lofgren; William P. Cowell, Deputy Director, NSA,
> Department of Defense; William A. Reinsch, Under Secretary, Export
> Administration, Department of Commerce; Robert S. Litt, Deputy
> Assistant Attorney General, Criminal Division, Department of Justice;
> and public witnesses.

> And for these of the coming week:
>
> Congressional Record: September 5, 1997 (Digest):
>
>                       CONGRESSIONAL PROGRAM AHEAD
>
>                   Week of September 8 through 13, 1997
>
> [Excerpts]
>                            House Committees
>
>   Committee on National Security, September 9, to markup H.R. 695,
> Security and Freedom Through Encryption (SAFE) Act, 1 p.m., 2118
> Rayburn.
>
>   Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, September 9,
> executive, hearing on Encryption legislation, 10 a.m., H-405
> Capitol.
>   September 11, executive, to markup Encryption legislation, 10
> a.m., H-405 Capitol.
>
>   Committee on Science, September 10, hearing on Next Generation
> Internet Initiative, 10 a.m., 2318 Rayburn.
>
>   September 11, Subcommittee on Courts and Intellectual Property,
> hearing on H.R. 2265, No Electronic Theft (NET) Act, and also on
> electronic copyright piracy, 10 a.m., 2237 Rayburn.
>
>   September 11, Subcommittee on Crime, hearing regarding cellular
> telephone fraud, 9:30 a.m., 2141 Rayburn.
>
>                            Senate Committees
>
>   Select Committee on Intelligence: September 10, to hold a closed
> briefing on intelligence matters, 2:30 p.m., SH-219.
>
>   Committee on Labor and Human Resources: September 11, to hold
> hearings to examine the confidentiality of medical information, 10
> a.m., SD-430.

Thread