1997-09-15 - Re: Bean Counting II

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: “snow” <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Message Hash: f309377c0504354b253db416051647ce7fcdc617bf04e561144a111f9888a7de
Message ID: <v03102800b042485868c6@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v0310280eb03e81265f20@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-09-15 02:15:21 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:15:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:15:21 +0800
To: "snow" <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Subject: Re: Bean Counting II

At 6:28 PM -0700 9/14/97, snow wrote:
>> >If we had the proper figures to work with then we could make a valid
>> >judgment as to how many lives anti-GAK supporters would have to put
>> >in danger in order to tip the balance so that it would be in the best
>> >interests of the citizens to allow strong non-GAK'ed crypto.
>> >I, for one, would hate to see lives lost needlessly merely because
>> >those opposing GAK did not have the proper figures to work with.
>> This is a worthless and dangerous argument to make. If you can't see why,
>> you have no business writing articles on this list.
>> Hint: "The greatest good for the greatest number" is passe.
>
>	I took the original writers point to be that maybe, just maybe
>the reason they aren't giving us any numbers is because there AREN'T
>any numbers. That the chances are strong crypto _won't_ cause any deaths.
>Won't cost any lives. They know that.

And that's nonsense. The widespread deployment of strong crypto will in
various ways "cause" various deaths, in ways we've discussed many times
over the years.

So? Some of them will have deserved death, some will have gotten caught in
situations they didn't deserve, and so on. Any new technology or
communications medium produces deaths. Freedom of speech inevitably
triggers some historical developments which cause deaths. So?

It is fatuous nonsense to suggest "That the chances are strong crypto
_won't_ cause any deaths."

Not that "body counts" are a basis for deciding on basic freedoms. Which
was my point.

--Tim