1997-10-02 - Re: Mr. Policeman is Your Friend

Header Data

From: “S. M. Halloran” <mitch@duzen.com.tr>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 059feb095d77d72981f5a87747f03f28f8c7740a4504d8bd4a7afd6407569396
Message ID: <199710020639.IAA23181@ankara.duzen.com.tr>
Reply To: <9710012220.AA05578@sabel.idacom.hp.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-02 06:47:27 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:47:27 +0800

Raw message

From: "S. M. Halloran" <mitch@duzen.com.tr>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:47:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Mr. Policeman is Your Friend

Tim May <tcmay@got.net> wrote on  1 Oct 97:

> At 3:20 PM -0700 10/1/97, Martin Janzen wrote:
> >Electronic Frontier Canada's David Jones (djones@insight.dcss.McMaster.CA)
> >posted the following to the EFC mailing list:
>
> >2. If cops can read E-mail, so can the bad guys
> >      http://www.efc.ca/pages/media/gazette.24sep97.html

[much interesting exposition on the police as servants of government
deleted]

I have a question:  has any jurisdiction (local, state, federal) in
the U.S. resolved the hyprocrisy--maybe better to phrase "double
standard"--wherein citizens who commit crimes against persons who
perform duties under the color and badge of authority--namely the
police--are charged with additional offenses specific for crimes
against govt officers--but govt officers who commit crimes against
citizens while in the performance of duties under the color and badge
of authority would suffer the same penalty as citizens who commit
crimes against "just" citizens?  (hope you can follow that perhaps
awkward question)

It is my opinion that if I am charged with felony assault on a police
officer, and the judge gives me 2 years for the assault + 1 year for
doing it to an officer, that if that cop gets rough with me beyond
what is legally necessary (excessive force?) or does it in the
commission of other crimes and does so having informed others that
the officer is performing his duties (this resolves disputes between
the concept of "on-duty" and "off-duty"), then he should get 2 years
for the crime + 1 year for having violated the public trust vested in
him (i.e., doing while "under the color and badge of authority").  I
don't know why I think this way, but it's a concept I call FAIRNESS
or maybe JUSTICE.

Mitch Halloran
Research Biochemist/C programmer/Sequioa's (dob 12-20-95) daddy
Duzen Laboratories Group
mitch@duzen.com.tr

Thread