1997-10-23 - Re: Singaporean control freaks & CMR (Re: puff pieces vs tough crypto issues)

Header Data

From: Harish Pillay <harish@ganymede.contact.com.sg>
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Message Hash: 0aff2c2750b36a0c9a8472f74438de3d3dcdae009b17ed0016e189efcbbeece3
Message ID: <199710231543.XAA02822@ganymede.contact.com.sg>
Reply To: <199710221838.TAA04516@server.test.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-23 16:09:44 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:09:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Harish Pillay <harish@ganymede.contact.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:09:44 +0800
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Singaporean control freaks & CMR (Re: puff pieces vs tough crypto issues)

Hi.  For the sake of sanity and completeness, the following has to be
corrected.

> Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com> writes:
> > The relevance? Another example of Singapore's loony politics. Strict social
> > controls and relative economic freedom. I find it fascinating in light of
> > Net-filtering and other attempts at restricting information flow; if you
> > don't, well, you can always delete it. :)
>
> The net-filtering and social control aspects of Singapore are very
> interesting.  Seems that somewhere like Singapore might be an earlier
> adopter of mandatory GAK -- social ills have hugely disproportionate
> treatment over there.  I hear (and our Singaporean contributer
> confirms) that chewing gum is illegal, jay walking too.  (Hey you have
> the jay walking laws in the US too don't you?)  (I missed the social
> control aspect of the vote for kewlest public toilet story).

Chewing gum per se is not illegal.  I just cannot buy them from any store
in Singapore.  I can chew to my heart's content.  I can go up north to
Malaysia, buy a whole month's supply of gum (name your flavour) and bring
it back into Singapore.

So, what is moronically illegal is that I cannot sell that pack of gum.

Regards.
--
Harish Pillay                             	  h.pillay@ieee.org
Singapore      *** Ask me about Linux *** http://home.pacific.net.sg/~harish