1997-10-31 - RE: North CA cops skip preliminaries, get straight to torture

Header Data

From: Fisher Mark <FisherM@exch1.indy.tce.com>
To: “‘cypherpunks’” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 0bd808131024b20d6e43b58e0ed6c505bbe091c644488e3fea5e199986dba69a
Message ID: <2328C77FF9F2D011AE970000F84104A74933FC@indyexch_fddi.indy.tce.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 01:52:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Fisher Mark <FisherM@exch1.indy.tce.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 01:52:02 +0800
To: "'cypherpunks'" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: RE: North CA cops skip preliminaries, get straight to torture

Tim May ('>') wrote:
>>  This non-violent demonstrators were willing to accept the agreed
>>upon punishment/cost of their actions in protest of the actions
>>of their public servants. Their public servants, as usual, chose
>>to to act in the manner of savages who are incapable of holding
>>to the rule of law which they use to justify their confiscation
>>of the citizen's right to bear arms in the face of tyranny.
>
>Excuse me, but this modern notion that protesters get to "make a deal"
>about the fines they'll eventually pay is bogus. If they're
trespassing,
>they're trespassing. They don't get to take over Intel's factory, chain
>themselves to the Evil Factory doors, and then make a deal to pay some
>token fine.

I think you're overreacting here (or I am misreading the above '>>').
If the sentence is life, with a chance for parole after 15 years, or if
the sentence is death, that is what all those who practice civil
disobedience should face -- what the actual sentence is.  Applying
pepper spray directly to eyes of _non-violent_ demonstrators is "cruel
and unusual punishment", not just normal arrest procedures.  (Violent
demonstrators must deal with the consequences of their actions,
including death.)

[as usual -- just my own views...]
Mark Leighton Fisher          Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com          Indianapolis, IN
"Their walls are built of cannon balls, their motto is
'Don't Tread on Me'"

Thread