1997-10-26 - Re: Click HERE for Boy Sex

Header Data

From: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 1e01eb6a6f643e7afc01b51cd24e9a4397f1ca9961c671f87cdb503d97e190a5
Message ID: <199710262243.QAA10648@wire.insync.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 06:46:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 06:46:08 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Click HERE for Boy Sex

secret@nsa.fbi.cia.org writes:

[And to think I almost deleted this without reading it, presuming it
 was SPAM]

> InterBBS, and its lawyers, maintain that their decoded neatly indexed
> web-accessible Usenet pictures service enjoys the same immunity for
> its content due to their Common Carrier status as the raw newsfeed
> does, and of course, they wouldn't think of keeping records on which
> customers read which Usenet articles.

Didn't the feds raid some company right here in Texas a while back,
called NetPics, for providing decoded Usenet pictures via a Web
interface?  As I recall, NetPics got raided even though they tried to
filter out child porn, and had all of their equipment seized.

One hesitates to even think of what the feds will do to someone who is
deliberately offering only decoded boysex newsgroups over the Web, but
it will undoubtedly involve sharpened castration shears and lots of
really bad publicity.

> The net effect of all of these things coming together is that there
> now exists convenient pseudoanonymous web access to all boy-related
> child porn pictures posted to Usenet, for a small fee you may bill
> monthly to the credit card of your choice.

Providing the Feds haven't already taken it over, killed everyone
associated with it, and decided to run it as a sting.

Of course, this is an interesting legal question.  Clearly, offering
raw Usenet content the ISP doesn't originate absolutely shields the ISP
from responsibility for the material, under current telecommunications
law.

The unanswered legal question is whether processing the raw news feed
in some way, such as would be needed to provide web access to decoded
pictures, also enjoys the same protection.

It would seem that automatic transcoding of Usenet, in a way which is
not content sensitive, should not be considered the origination of new
content.  On the other hand, the Feds are hardly going to sit still
for a URL which, when clicked upon, fills ones browser screen with
hundreds of thumbnails of blond pre-teen Scandinavian boys in
mid-orgasm, with a legend which reads - "Click on thumbnail to get
full-sized picture." And all for only $6 a month.

> http://www.ivan.net/bc/messages/38850.htm  (Marlin Answers His Critics)

This guy has elephant-sized balls.  I wish him well in his quest to
push the envelope.

Certainly a lot more interesting than Prof. Bernstein and that Snuffle
thing. :)

> Surely the Feds are not going to take this lying down. :)

"If it saves only one child..."

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+