1997-10-08 - Re: Internet Via Electric Lines?

Header Data

From: Cees de Groot <cg@evrl.xs4all.nl>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 263c25052c48fa70dbab9cd9ac55e4b7f4453accff3fbed103103bc7689f93f3
Message ID: <199710081929.VAA19175@evrl.xs4all.nl>
Reply To: <199710081601.JAA15326@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-08 20:23:41 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 04:23:41 +0800

Raw message

From: Cees de Groot <cg@evrl.xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 04:23:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Internet Via Electric Lines?

In <199710081601.JAA15326@toad.com> Peter Trei wrote:

>It looks like we're seeing different parts of the problem. You're
>worried about the long-haul backbone. I'm trying to see ways to
>get a 10Gbps fibre into my living room.

In the Netherlands, every house is hooked to the natural gas network. I've
heard rumours about them guys testing literally blowing fiber into your
house through the gas pipes (hook fiber to a shuttle, let it loose - gas
pressure does the rest). Never heard how they're gonna do the steering on
junctions, though...

Welcome to the brave new world - I envision utility companies literally
running down your front door for the privilege of being allowed to hook
your house to their 10Gbps network :-)

--
Cees de Groot               http://pobox.com/~cg         <cg@pobox.com>
               Photo pages: http://pobox.com/~cg/photo