1997-10-27 - key recovery meeting/demonstration in DC, 11/5

Header Data

From: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
To: cryptography@c2.net
Message Hash: 36cb956eba5d48394bf26546bf3d054f47d9dce31c1624f03e5eeec0efd9fdd4
Message ID: <199710272113.NAA01177@ideath.parrhesia.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 05:28:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 05:28:51 +0800
To: cryptography@c2.net
Subject: key recovery meeting/demonstration in DC, 11/5

See <http://gits-sec.treas.gov/const.htm>; there's going to be a meeting
discussing key recovery technology and legislation in Washington, D.C. on
November 5. I don't really have time to track down the organizational
pedigree of "GITS" (Government Information Technology Services), the
institution organizing the conference, but they've got space on the Dept of
Treasury's web server. The meeting features, among other folks, William
Reinsch, undersecretary at the Dept of Commerce, and an unnamed luncheon
speaker who will discuss the future of KR legislation. The cost is $100,
and they want you to register by today. Am unsure how easy it'd be to crash
the conference - it's at the Omni Shoreham Hotel.

The web page features plenty of obfuscation/confusion which tries to link
KR technology with encryption/security technology, suggesting that a
combination of the two (or merely the former) is required to allow
widespread use of the Internet for commerce and data transfer.

If anyone happens to attend, I imagine that list subscribers would be
interested in a summary of the comments, etc.

--
Greg Broiles                | US crypto export control policy in a nutshell:
gbroiles@netbox.com         | Export jobs, not crypto.

Thread