1997-10-05 - Re: “Show me an example of terrorists using the Internet or crypto”

Header Data

From: phelix@vallnet.com
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 497ed01a4f86de93e54012811fe3bd3d0f1426398df96578e1514b4a1eec5141
Message ID: <3438046a.78476133@128.2.84.191>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 13:25:24 +0800

Raw message

From: phelix@vallnet.com
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 13:25:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: "Show me an example of terrorists using the Internet or   crypto"

On 4 Oct 1997 21:48:23 -0500, Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>After the ordinance was passed, there was one
>violent crime the first year, and three the next.

There it is.  Absolute Proof!!!!  After everybody finally got those
dreadful guns, there was a 300% increase in the murder rate.  Guns are
evil.  Ban them now!!!

(Just an example of what people do with statistics these days.)

-- Phelix

ps.  Here's the entire paragraph:

Before Kennesaw, Georgia passed its famous (or infamous) ordinance
requiring each household in the city to own a gun and allowing concealed
carry of firearms, it had an average of 25-27 violent crimes (murder, armed
robbery, etc) per year.  After the ordinance was passed, there was one
violent crime the first year, and three the next.  The gun control shills
in the press reported this as a tripling in the violent crime rate.  Since
the state of Florida passed a "shall issue" concealed carry law (if you
apply, pay the fee, pass the safety course, and are not a felon or mentally
incompetent, the state shall issue you a concealed carry permit) it has
experienced significant reductions (10-20%) in the rates of murder, rape,
armed robbery, and other violent crimes.  Even in England and Scotland,
this inverse relationship between private gun ownership and violent crime
can be demonstrated, according to Colin Greenwood, retired chief of the
West Yorkshire Constabulary and criminology researcher since the sixties.

Thread