1997-10-13 - Re: Defeating MITM with Eric’s Secure Phone

Header Data

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
To: “John Kelsey” <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM>
Message Hash: 5a7bcbad1119635a78ae5e371706858791af3475f01bd30d06d8e87f3539e8c9
Message ID: <v03007801b0675fedb3e4@[207.94.249.103]>
Reply To: <199710110651.BAA02401@email.plnet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-13 06:52:43 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:52:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:52:43 +0800
To: "John Kelsey" <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM>
Subject: Re: Defeating MITM with Eric's Secure Phone

At 11:53 PM -0700 10/10/97, John Kelsey wrote:
>This is *almost* right.  We need to add one more thing,
>though:
>
>1.      Alice calls Mallory, thinking she's calling Bob.
>She reads the first three digits to him.  He makes the
>connection fall apart.  At the same time, Mallory calls Bob,
>pretending to be Alice, and causes the connection to fall
>apart at the same time.

John - You're absolutely right.  I haven't had a phone connection fail
after connect for a coon's age, but I remember the bad old days of living
in GTE-land.  (For example, the time I called my wife from work and she
asked me to call Kristine and have her call because no one in Los Gatos
could call out.)

A comm failure during authentication should be enough reason to go to the
next set of 16 words.

N.B. I was assuming that Alice would only commit one digit to Bob before
having Bob commit one digit to her.  It seems from our analysis that doing
it one digit at a time greatly improves the chances of catching Mallory
early.

Bill Frantz       | Internal surveillance      | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | helped make the USSR the   | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | nation it is today.        | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread