1997-10-11 - PolicyMaker & GAK compliance

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: hal@rain.org
Message Hash: 5ebaa2ae6ba4687d7fdd437365888504e6c234d61e7c80501c1d21587533132b
Message ID: <199710112123.WAA05223@server.test.net>
Reply To: <199710111842.LAA03434@s20.term1.sb.rain.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-11 21:30:05 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 05:30:05 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 05:30:05 +0800
To: hal@rain.org
Subject: PolicyMaker & GAK compliance

Hal Finney <hal@rain.org> writes:
> Adam Back writes:
> > I would be nice to see the topic of the recipient refusing email based
> > on policies relating to third party access to messages in transit
> > being addressed in the standard when and if PGP gets to that stage.
> >
> > [ecash processing]
>
> This is a good example of a possible future kind of key assertion.
> Are you confident that you can decide which kinds of recipient refusal
> are morally correct and which kinds are not?

Not automatically, no, I doubt it would work.

> Is it the role of the IETF and the Open-PGP process to make this
> determination?  I would say not.  Rather, we should standardize data
> structures and conventions which allow people to express those
> conditions and assertions which are useful to them.

Yes.  I agree.

> There are a whole range of possible assertions which you might object to:
>
>  [examples of PolicyMaker style policies]
>
> You can take these case by case and decide for yourself whether each
> one is acceptable or not by your own standards.  But I don't think it's
> going to be possible to come up with a set of objective rules which will
> decide whether any given assertion is allowed.
>
> Fundamentally, you are asking to make it illegal for a key to request
> encryption to an additional recipient.  That's what it comes down to.
> You want to forbid this class of assertions.

Yes.  I was getting carried away.  It would be too complex, most
likely.

The thrust of your argument seems to be that there would be little use
making pgp 5.5 non-GAK compliant, because PolicyMaker style statements
will be so flexible that they will be GAK compliant anyway.

So, when are PGP starting work on PolicyMaker?  Is it intended to
introduce this functionality in this first round standardisation?  It
seems to me that adding PolicyMaker functionality could take some
considerable time due to the huge complexity of the task.

Also, just because GAK compliance will become possible if and when
PolicyMaker style extensions are implemented, doesn't mean that PGP
can expect popular support for actually going ahead and implementing
GAK compliancy in pgp5.5; nor can it expect to gain popular support
for the uncharacteristic big brotherish mentality displayed by those
working at PGP in implementing the SMTP policy enforcer behind closed
doors to enforce other people to modify their behaviour to honour
third parties GAK or CAK requests.

I think the whole thing is a huge PR fluff up.  I'm suprised that
those at PGP were all able to agree to do it without arguments being
expressed by employees, and without those arguments leaking out of the
company (given the picture Jon Callas painted of strong privacy and
freedom biases at PGP).  If there had been open discussion of the
product's design prior to development, this feed back could have been
obtained earlier.

I presume the PGP PR person (who ought to get the sack in my opinion)
thought that a sudden press release of such marvelous new feature as
PGP snoopware and a snoopware enforcer for third parties would go down
well.  It doesn't.  The enforcer is rudely enforcing the companise
opinions on people who have no connection with the companies snoopware
policies.  You should keep such matters within the company by using
escrowed storage keys to acheive snoopware.

For these reasons I still argue that we should:

- add storage keys to the standard

   It's more secure to do this.  That should be argument enough in
   itself.  It also is much cleaner separating key functionality out
   into separate keys where those keys have vastly different recovery,
   life time, and security requirements.

- use storage key escrow to implement PGP snoopware instead of burdening
  the OpenPGP standard with the stigma of GAK compliancy

   This method ties in with the use of storage keys.  It is nearly as
   effective a snoopware design.  It also isn't GAK compliant.  It
   also doesn't result in cypherpunks shouting at you.

- don't use the special sub-packet type to flag GAK compliancy

   I think the above shows that the neither the standard, nor PGP Inc
   needs the GAK compliant sub-packet, so scrap it, and save the
   argument up for the much more defensible position of a generalised
   PolicyMaker style  key usage restriction assertions

- scrap the controversial SMTP snoopware policy enforcement app

   Use storage key escrow to implement PGP snoopware instead of
   burdening the OpenPGP standard with the stigma of GAK compliancy

It's difficult to get standards which don't reflect big brotherish
aims when the good reputation of PGP Inc and Phil Zimmermann is
apparently behind it.  Something weird is going on at PGP
headquarters.  PRZ is also silent.  Are all the people at PGP Inc in
accord in thinking that the snoopware policy enforcer is a really cool
pro-privacy app?  Some of the usually more vocal PGPers have remained
silent throughout the entire episode.  Also as Tim note's the lack of
a Zimmermann Telegram (tm) getting suspiciously overdue.  Is he
dragging his feet of snoopware and GAK compliancy?

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...