1997-10-23 - Re: PGP Employee on MKR

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 5f2b790be2664c45b834cf14ff37e5a02d938c247ddf8de61be7bdec54037e8c
Message ID: <199710232308.BAA03552@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 07:18:25 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 07:18:25 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: PGP Employee on MKR

Lucky Green wrote:
>I have watched this silly debate for some time now. PGP pulled an
>awsome hack on corporate America, bringing strong crypto to thousands
>of corporate drones, while Cypherpunks, the crypto elite, seems
>incapable of reponding with anything other than to engage in frenzied
>mutual masturbation fueld by GAK fantasies.
>
>This is sad. Very sad.

What is sad is that people who are capable of expositing their beliefs
in a clear and coherent way choose instead to stoop to name calling.

Wouldn't it be more effective to explain exactly how our views are
"silly"?  If what you say makes sense, some of us may even agree with
you.

You describe PGP's achievement as "an awsome hack on corporate
America".  Yet, Jason Bobier, an employee of PGP, Inc. says "_All_ of
the developers at PGP are personal privacy zealots and no one likes
the idea of the MRK."

What is it that has Jason and his friends concerned?  Clearly there
are legitimate concerns and some people inside PGP, Inc. have them
like everyone else.

For that matter, why was it that Phil Zimmermann spoke out against
exactly this sort of product not so long ago?  What was it that
concerned Phil?  Why is this concern no longer relevant to the point
of being "silly"?

While we are at it, why was it that we didn't like Clipper?  After
all, its use was entirely voluntary and it would have disseminated
crypto widely.  In many instances, it would actually be preferable to
'PGP for Business' because the Feds wouldn't be tattling to your
employer if you were considering employment elsewhere or complaining
about your boss.

'PGP for Business' doesn't have the government's key built in, but the
infrastructure is all there.  It will get people accustomed to the
idea that it is reasonable to be under constant surveillance by your
employer, an idea which is easily extended to other listeners.  And
we've already seen members of Congress using 'PGP for Business' to
justify GAK.

Monty Cantsin
Editor in Chief
Smile Magazine