1997-10-25 - Declan speaks out on NAMBLA and TIME

Header Data

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 68e057732f7d9e81441afafbf45cd63dd23eba2e0924c22c5091914c5f9b387d
Message ID: <3451767E.3100@dev.null>
Raw Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 12:45:56 +0800

Raw message

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 12:45:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Declan speaks out on NAMBLA and TIME

~~~~~~~
SECONDS: Is there any activity that should be forbidden?

DECLAN: I'm not in the business of making laws like that. I don't know
exactly how to define what's underage and what's intimidation. Kids have
to be protected and I sympathize with those who want to write a law. I'm
just saying you have to control the bureaucracy and be extremely careful
about demagoguery. At the moment, there's too much demagogic hysteria
for people to be thinking sensibly about it.

SECONDS: Does it help the government get further into people's houses?

DECLAN: Another pretext for extension of police apparatuses. Another
excuse for the government desire to be able to snoop in on any
electronic conversation. It's a useful thing to get votes. I would say
where force and violence are involved, where mental violence is
involved, there's a fine line. What about some thirteen-year-old kid
whose parents have beat him up and rejected him and is out on the street
looking for love, hungry, taken in by some pederast who treats him
nicely, gives him an education, sleeps with him - what are you gonna do?
What humanely should be done? How are you going to make the distinction?
The cops don't make the distinction. The law doesn't make the
distinction. NAMBLA's good for making public discussion on this issue,
discussing what should be the right laws. People want to scapegoat the
discussion. They're willing to talk about it publicly all the time and
bust people but sensible discussion seems to be out of the question.
I've been accused of being a child rapist simply because I went on the
air and said I was a member of NAMBLA. Ten years ago, I saw in Time
Magazine an attack on NAMBLA saying it was a group involved in "the
systematic exploitation of the weak and immature by the powerful and
disturbed."
At first reading, it struck me as a precise characterization of Time's
own assault on the American mind.
~~~~~~~~~

  OK, so it was really Alan Ginsberg who said the above. I'll try and
put the universe back in balance, later, by attributing some of Declan's
comments to Ginsberg.

Thread