1997-10-10 - Re: What’s really in PGP 5.5?

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6cce8d65fbde5eb666146807bc9092e513004792b7b7733dbf8248202b47c809
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.96.971009233229.23982G-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
Reply To: <b6eadab9ed323417eed33e59a019c8c9@anon.efga.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-10 03:40:51 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 11:40:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 11:40:51 +0800
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: What's really in PGP 5.5?

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Anonymous wrote:

> Second, what if an employee doesn't come back from vacation?  You've got
> messages sitting in his inbox which go back three weeks.  All encrypted
> to his personal key, which is gone.

Shut up Kent, yes, we know it is you posting this rant.  The above fails
due to one single little key word "his personal key." If it is his
personal key, then the business has no business reading his email.  If it
indeed is a corporate key you should have said so, and he - the employee
could have arranged for his passphrased to be escrowed with the company's
principals, if that wasn't done, the company is stupid and doesn't deserve
to survive.

> It's been long enough that the
> senders may not have backups any more.  It's all lost, and at best the
> company is going to put its partners and customers to a great deal of
> inconvenience by making them re-send everything they've sent in the last
> three weeks, not to mention making the company look incompetent.

Correction: not only will they look incompetent, but in reality this
will prove that they are!  Single point of failure in any system is
something every company should consider.  It's the same with filing taxes
so the IRS doesn't come down on your head, making backups of your servers
incase the hard drive crashes and buying all sorts of insurance.

This is a stupid arguement.  Go away.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com|you once again. I thought you were      |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |hiding, and you thought that I had run  |\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |away chasing the tail of dogma. I opened|.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|my eye and there we were....            |.....

Thread