1997-10-08 - Re: What’s really in PGP 5.5?

Header Data

From: Bruce Schneier <schneier@counterpane.com>
To: Jon Callas <minow@apple.com
Message Hash: 6f69d967ecfd4fc081fb22c17ea75dfd76ab66106869d610ca0874efea994e9b
Message ID: <v0300780ab0609577728b@[209.98.13.223]>
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 10:20:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Bruce Schneier <schneier@counterpane.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 10:20:17 +0800
To: Jon Callas <minow@apple.com
Subject: Re: What's really in PGP 5.5?

Jon Calis wrote:
>Also, we have three encryption products: PGP freeware, PGP for Personal
>Privacy, and PGP for Business Security. Corporate Message Recovery is
>included *only* in PGP for Business Security. It is not, and never will
>be, in either the freeware or the Personal Privacy product.

If this is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), then why is the
key escrow code written (although not turned on) in the source code for 5.0
that was posted internationally from PGP?

Makes no sense.

Bruce

>http://simson.vineyard.net/clips/96.SJMN.PGPBusinessEdition.html
>                             PRETTY LOOSE PRIVACY
>[...]
>   Published: April 2, 1996
>   BY SIMSON L. GARFINKEL
>   That has not stopped Zimmermann from complaining loudly about the PGP
>   name being used in a product that allows someone other than the author
>   or the intended recipient access to information. Viacrypt owns the
>   licensing rights to sell the commercial versions of PGP.
>
>   ''PGP does not stand for back doors,'' said Zimmermann. ''I don't mind
>   if they sell a program that has a back door in it, but they shouldn't
>   call it PGP.''
>[...]
>   ''If your employer can read your mail anytime he wants, without your
>   permission, that goes against the spirit of the PGP trademark,'' said
>   Zimmermann.

Bruce Schneier, President, Counterpane Systems     Phone: 612-823-1098
101 E Minnehaha Parkway, Minneapolis,MN  55419       Fax: 612-823-1590
                                            http://www.counterpane.com

Thread