1997-10-23 - Use crypto, face the Stockholders / Re: Use crypto, face a death squad

Header Data

From: Corporate Spy <cs@dev.null>
To: T.G.Griffiths@exeter.ac.uk
Message Hash: 73a25ac5d27c683c4e4d013ac104d83a609f46445f11c033fc3c483a3ae723d1
Message ID: <344FA63D.3CFB@dev.null>
Reply To: <7c7e99dd47%Tim@tim01.ex.ac.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-23 22:11:55 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 06:11:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Corporate Spy <cs@dev.null>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 06:11:55 +0800
To: T.G.Griffiths@exeter.ac.uk
Subject: Use crypto, face the Stockholders / Re: Use crypto, face a death squad

Tim Griffiths wrote:
> In message <87761312106967@cs26.cs.auckland.ac.nz> Peter wrote:
> > There have been various rumours and comments over the past few years that
> > the
> > use of crypto in certain countries (Syria, Iraq, possibly China) is very
> > dangerous for the end user, but very little actual evidence to substantiate
> > this.
> > [snip, with reference to Iraq]
> >  He can't remember the exact details any more, but the implication was
> > that any encrypted messages sent to them would result in them quietly
> > dissapearing.
>
> So a possible consequence of someone from Iraq being obnoxious on a
> mailing list, to someone in the know, could be several PGP-encrypted
> mails dumped in their inbox... A little extreme, for us gentles, but the
> threat should be effective.

 If email not encrypted to a Korrect Kompany Key is filtered 'from'
the recipient's mbox, I imagine it would also be filtered 'to' another
mbox, for signs of suspicious activity.
 e.g. - an encrypted message to the CEO of the company from
  "Corporate_Spy@your_competitor.com" with a subject heading such as,
  "Information received--money deposited to your account."

  Of course, if the message enclosed was a bunch of garbage, encrypted
to the CEO's private key, and then slightly corrupted, then that would
make it all the more suspicious, interesting, wouldn't it?

> Of course, spamming every Iraqui email address you could find with encoded
> mail could cause a _lot_ of trouble.

  Not that you're a troublemaker...

C-Spy

Thread