1997-10-24 - Senator Lott on Encryption

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8ca6c9685b435d7023d1c3ad58e975e9ca811b3d50801b823e3136bcf7bce3bd
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19971024015535.00b87684@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:26:17 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:26:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Senator Lott on Encryption

Excerpt below of statement on encryption policy by Senate Majority
Leader Lott published in the October 21 Congressional Record.
Full statement at:

     http://jya.com/lott-crypto.htm  (12K)

----------

Senator Lott:

  During the past month, the FBI has attempted to change the debate by
proposing a series of new mandatory controls on the domestic sale and
use of encryption products. Let me be clear. There are currently no
restrictions on the rights of Americans to use encryption to protect
their personal financial or medical records or their private e-mail
messages. There have never been domestic limitations, and similarly,
American businesses have always been free to buy and use the strongest
possible encryption to protect sensitive information from being stolen
or changed. But now, the FBI proposes to change all that.

  The FBI wants to require that any company that produces or offers
encryption security products or services guarantee immediate access to
plain text information without the knowledge of the user. Their
proposal would subject software companies and telecommunications
providers to prison sentences for failure to guarantee immediate access
to all information on the desktop computers of all Americans. That
would move us into an entirely new world of surveillance, a very
intrusive surveillance, where every communication by every individual
can be accessed by the FBI.

  Where is probable cause? Why has the FBI assumed that all Americans
are going to be involved in criminal activities? Where is the
Constitution?

  And how would this proposal possibly help the FBI? According to a
forthcoming book by the M.I.T. Press, of the tens of thousands of cases
handled annually by the FBI, only a handful have involved encryption of
any type, and even fewer involved encryption of computer data. Let's
face it--despite the movies, the FBI solves its cases with good old-
fashioned police work, questioning potential witnesses, gathering
material evidence, and using electronic bugging or putting microphones
on informants. Restricting encryption technology in the U.S. would not
be very helpful to the FBI.

  The FBI proposal won't work. I have talked with experts in the world
of software and cryptography, who have explained that the technology
which would provide compliance with the FBI standard simply does not
exist. The FBI proposal would force a large unfunded mandate on our
high technology firms, at a time when there is no practical way to
accomplish that mandate.

  Rather than solve problems in our export policy, this FBI proposal
would create a whole new body of law and regulations restricting our
domestic market.

  This and similar proposals would also have a serious impact on our
foreign market. Overseas businesses and governments believe that the
U.S. might use its keys to computer encryption systems to spy on their
businesses and politicians. Most U.S. software and hardware
manufacturers believe this is bad for business and that nobody will
trust the security of U.S. encryption products if this current policy
continues. In fact, this proposal appears to violate the European
Union's data-privacy laws, and the European Commission is expected to
reject it this week.

  So, the FBI proposal would: Invade our privacy; be of minimal use to
the FBI; would require nonexistent technology; would create new
administrative burdens; and would seriously damage our foreign markets.

  This is quite a list.

  Mr. President, the FBI proposal is simply wrong. I have learned that
even the administration does not support this new FBI proposal. So why
does the FBI believe it must now subject all Americans to more and more
surveillance?

  This independent action by the FBI has created confusion and mixed
signals which are troublesome for the Senate as it works on this
legislation. Perhaps the FBI and the Justice Department need to focus
immediately on a coordinated encryption position.

  Mr. President, I congratulate the members of the House Commerce
Committee for rejecting this FBI approach by a vote margin of more than
2 to 1.

-----

Thread