1997-10-21 - Re: GAK “service” charges (Re: EC refutes GAK)

Header Data

From: pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann)
To: aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk
Message Hash: 967b457b8825fe2b3ec862c031335f4b67a12d7c5449d075c300df0b95e2c88f
Message ID: <87745892226677@cs26.cs.auckland.ac.nz>
Raw Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 02:45:42 +0800

Raw message

From: pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 02:45:42 +0800
To: aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk
Subject: Re:  GAK "service" charges (Re: EC refutes GAK)

Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk> writes:
>Peter Gutmann <pgut001@cs.auckland.ac.nz> writes:
>>[multiple terabyte CDrom based keying material]
>Reckon they'll twig, and charge you per megabyte to offer you the "service"
>of allowing them to "recover" your communications in real time.

Yes, but how will they phrase the requirements?  A CD is a single key (in fact
1,000 CD's are all part of a single key)... this leads to the same problem I
heard of here a few years ago w.r.t. outlawing gangs: "It would be impossible
to word any comprehensive anti-gang legislation in a manner which didn't also
outlaw the police".  The same goes for certain aspects of escrowing, any
escrow rules which are in any way practical and useable will also be open to
all sorts of creative interpretation ("You must deposit a copy of your
encryption key with the government" -> "Here's the key.  Where can I park the
forklift that moves the container of CD's?").

Peter.

Thread