1997-10-23 - Re: puff pieces vs tough crypto issues (Re: Singapore TOILET ALERT)

Header Data

From: Ariel Glenn <ariel@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
To: Kent Crispin <kent@bywater.songbird.com>
Message Hash: a5518f16ade1bc0770f6c0d78b6041cc07657b249d9b1b2fcafb13371e29e43b
Message ID: <CMM.0.90.4.877570674.ariel@stealth.cc.columbia.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:54:02 +0800

Raw message

From: Ariel Glenn <ariel@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:54:02 +0800
To: Kent Crispin <kent@bywater.songbird.com>
Subject: Re: puff pieces vs tough crypto issues (Re: Singapore TOILET ALERT)

Kent Crispin writes:
>They could wave around TIS's products (designed by noted cypherpunk
>Carl Ellison, I believe), or NorTel's Entrust, just as well.  Hell, in
>a few months they may be able to wave around Adam Backs CDR product,
>which also facilitates GAK...[deleted]

sure, but PGP has a certain name recognition that appears to extend
beyond the computing business community; ask your average cs
student what PGP is and they'll have heard of it *and* its
reputation. Ask them about Entrust and see if you get the same
result. (I could do that here with my managers as a demo. :-)
Now figure out what your representatives in Congress know: even
less.

So, PGP gets cited by Congress as an example, and the other
corporations building in GAK or who have signed on to get that good
export license for DES don't.

Ariel Glenn
ariel@columbia.edu

Thread