1997-10-19 - Re: Security flaws introduced by “other readers” in CMR

Header Data

From: “Jean-Francois Avon” <jf_avon@citenet.net>
To: “e$@thumper.vmeng.com” <e$@thumper.vmeng.com>
Message Hash: ac3b95c5d1d8d3af878c298740fdddcf465f99d06966f9b0c121995ce2583e21
Message ID: <199710192312.TAA29403@cti06.citenet.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 07:18:44 +0800

Raw message

From: "Jean-Francois Avon" <jf_avon@citenet.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 07:18:44 +0800
To: "e$@thumper.vmeng.com" <e$@thumper.vmeng.com>
Subject: Re: Security flaws introduced by "other readers" in CMR

From: Fabrice Planchon <fabrice@math.Princeton.EDU>
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Cc: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net

>They do: the title is "Le programme PGP se range", which I unfortunatly
> have know idea of how to translate.

It can be translated by
 "PGP gets into the groove"
it "behave itself".
It finally obtemperate (wether prompted or not).
It grow's up and become reasonable.
"se ranger" is what you do with your car when a cop car pulls you on the side.
it gets in line

There is an ambiguity in this expression.  "Se ranger" is usually used for  a transition to an unusual or not approved behaviour to a
accepted or acceptable behaviour.  It entails a "higher" authority or standard.  This is why I use a much more americanized
language when I speak in french about civil liberties and related subjects.  The french language almost equate government
intentions with fatherly love... :-)    Over the years, I found that most French peoples have a feodal attitude with a tendency to almost
blind veneration of hierarchy.  (flames to dev@nul.con).  I suppose it comes from their History.  In general, if a govt said it, it *has* to
be good.  It is as if they were trained since young age to surrender their capacity for independent judgment and reason.  And quite
distressingly, it happens even with extremely intelligent individuals.

OTOH, the uncommon ones that do not exhibit such psycho-epistemological trait tend to be real hot shots, independent type.

I am not French, but Canadian (french) and we often have scrapes with French on this topic.  They tend to trust their govt, unless
somethings warrant otherwise.  Here in french Canada, we are much more American in that sense.  Notwithstanding what
trumped-up polls say, we have a much more american-styled opinion.

Ciao

JFA

Thread