1997-10-02 - Re: Request for illegal electronic surveillance examples and cases

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: baef9f86b394e17883bc371e3c60020e62aa9a40ccf8118fc16de58b7eab77ae
Message ID: <v03102802b059a1f564ac@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03102800b0598ddcabfc@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-02 19:34:55 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 03:34:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 03:34:55 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: Request for illegal electronic surveillance examples and cases

At 11:33 AM -0700 10/2/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Thanks, all, for the suggestions. Unfortunately my time is limited: my
>deadline is tonight. I'm working on a roundup of pre-reported
>cases, not reporting out new ones. (at least for this project)

Meaning nothing against Declan personally, this "my deadline is tonight" is
one of the reasons I almost never read news magazines anymore.

(I stupidly bought a copy of something "Time" calls "Time Digital," as it
seemed to have some of my acquaintances in it. I should've spotted the jive
by the title on the cover, "Our Exclusive Ranking of the Cyber Elite." Lots
of one-line quoting of pundits, shots of the overexposed geekbabe Pohlese,
and fatuous nonsense about what it means to be rich in Silicon Valley. I
wouldn't have believed it could be possible,  but "Time Digital" is far,
far worse than "Wired." Here's to hoping it dies a merciful death in the
next few months.)

--Tim May