1997-10-02 - Re: Secure HTTP servers.

Header Data

From: Martin Pool <mbp@pharos.com.au>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bbfd6479c8549b3ad8f0682abf35c9772ed909ee624cd448f5f919a971f5be2d
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.971002085941.32706A-100000@buffalo.pharos.com.au>
Reply To: <LaBwDe3w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-02 01:40:47 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 09:40:47 +0800

Raw message

From: Martin Pool <mbp@pharos.com.au>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 09:40:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Secure HTTP servers.

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> Are the posters in this thread unwilling to criticize C2Net's StrongHold
> because they're afraid to get obnoxious threatening letters from Sameer
> Parekh's shysters?

For what it's worth, we use Stronghold and are very happy with it.
They ship almost all the code, and they provide worthwhile crypto
outside of the States.  Being based on Apache it has a fairly vibrant
development community, so you can obtain modules to do Java servlets,
inline Perl, access to various DBs, and so on, and participate in the
development of those modules.  It's moderately easy to install,
configure, and customize, although you'd probably want a little bit of
Unix sysadmin experience.  I believe an NT port is in alpha.

Criticism?  A few times I've run into SIGSEGV's in the crypto
libraries.  To be fair, the problems are only visible when you plug in
third-party modules, there are workarounds, and they may in fact be
not Stronghold's fault.  Also, their manual seems to have been out of
print for months -- not such a problem because there's an online
version, but still a bit annoying.

UKWeb's technical support are quite good and compare extremely well to
that of some large organizations.

I have no evidence in support or rebuttal of C2Net's alleged
harrassment of Dr Vulis, so I won't comment on that.

--
Martin Pool
Pharos

Thread