1997-10-18 - Re: consensus on pgp? can we consolidate for action?

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: “Attila T. Hun” <jon@pgp.com>
Message Hash: cc48aa12844e31fa79a941cc383e6672f8e5fad79b73c3c7de1ed90256a5ecaa
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19971018020526.006cbe38@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <19971016.032545.attila@hun.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-18 09:43:21 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 17:43:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 17:43:21 +0800
To: "Attila T. Hun" <jon@pgp.com>
Subject: Re: consensus on pgp? can we consolidate for action?

At 02:39 AM 10/18/1997 +0000, Attila T. Hun wrote:
>    as Bill also pointed out, somethings could be done via the
>    EHLO extensions, but the limitations would be to great.
>    secondly, as Jon Callas points out, there is the option of
>    TLS via SSL. however, that takes the wrapper off in a store
>    and forward situation and you can not control the hops.

>    ** what I had in mind: **
>    literally a point to point, port to port daemon pair
>    --operating in a trusted pair mode.

Besides doing things at the SMTP, IPSEC, or SSL layers,
another approach is SSH.  You could build an application-specific
relay (e.g. something sitting on your machine receiving SMTP
and something sitting on your mailhost relaying it to sendmail),
but SSH does close enough to that that it may be the way to go,
except for occasional annoyances about who can use Port 25.

Also, there are two mail protocols to address -
smtp for sending, but pop3 (or imap4) for mailbox-retrieval.
Using either SSH or IPSEC or something SSL-based
can help you cover the POP3 end as well.

On the other hand, you can also use Hotmail or a Hotmail clone
with SSL and bypass the whole process.  Or you can use a
PGP-equipped remailer.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639

Thread