1997-10-15 - Re: Telstra Australia admits it lied about net

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: cd2d2b70f82d97bd6d828d111eab67eb83f91f4b43d8117126ffd5954684ec62
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19971014235437.006f93d4@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199710141716.TAA18754@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-15 07:43:41 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 15:43:41 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 15:43:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Telstra Australia admits it lied about net

According to an article in today's Mercury News or SFExaminer,
Telstra has also decided that 70% of the bits on US-Australia
Internet connections are now going from Australia to the US
rather than the earlier ~100% US->Australia direction -
so it wants a major reevaluation of who pays for the
trunks connecting the Internets in the two countries
(currently Telstra pays most of the costs.)

>http://www.australian.aust.com/computer/fulltext/c1014b.htm
>         Telstra: We were wrong about Net
>         By GEOFF LONG
>October 14: A Telstra official has admitted that the carrier
>overestimated the congestion problems associated with the Internet,
>one of the prime reasons given when it wanted to introduce timed local
>calls.
>
>Speaking at the launch of Telstra's Big Pond Business services, Big
>Pond general manager John Rolland said congestion caused by Internet
>users connecting for long periods was not as big an issue as they
>first thought.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639

Thread