1997-10-07 - Re: Re:New PGP “Everything the FBI ever dreamed of”

Header Data

From: amp@pobox.com
To: “Brian B. Riley” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: d21bc2c8f57d3b0693f6eedee063dfcc2314ae9d769329e5ad7f4820cfc1dfb8
Message ID: <Chameleon.876200254.amp@rcnu3077>
Reply To: <199710062108.RAA11053@mx02.together.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-07 07:05:10 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:05:10 +0800

Raw message

From: amp@pobox.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:05:10 +0800
To: "Brian B. Riley" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Re:New PGP "Everything the FBI ever dreamed of"

------------------------
  From: "Brian B. Riley" <brianbr@together.net>
  Subject: Re:New PGP "Everything the FBI ever dreamed of"

==snip==

>  I would be almost as inclined to think that a company using PGP5.5
> with a forced encrypted to (company) self in addition to whomever else
> ... might even put up a bigger fuss about passing out their 'master
> key' to Freeh-dumb et al. than many CP individuals ...

An interesting question indeed. This is something that needs to be
carefully considered by all concerned especially since, once the LEA has a
copy of a private key, there is no way to stop them from using it to
decrypt =any= document that was encrypted to it. This is very different
from a wiretap, where the court allows the LEA to listen in to
conversations over a specific period at a specific location. A closer
analogy would be to require all telephone conversations to be recorded, and
the wiretap would be used to listen to all these recorded conversations.

>  ... another passing thought, could the anticipated implementation of
> this have had anything to do with removal of the 'conventional
> encryption' options in PGP5 ????

Indeed. I just recieved a copy of pgpmail 4.5 that my boss purchased. I'm
supposed to look this over and see how we can implement it. Upon briefly
perusing the documentation, I'd say that I prefer this version to pgp 5x
since it allows conventional cryptography, (with idea rather than DES!) and
also makes it easy to encrypt to a group of people. This functionality is
really what we need it for more than anything else.

=snip=

Kinda makes one go "Hmmmm..."

------------------------
Name: amp
E-mail: amp@pobox.com
Date: 10/07/97
Time: 00:51:00
Visit me at http://www.pobox.com/~amp
==
     -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-3-lines-PERL
==

'Drug Trafficking Offense' is the root passphrase to the Constitution.

Have you seen
http://www.public-action.com/SkyWriter/WacoMuseum

Thread