1997-10-01 - Re: “Show me an example of terrorists using the Internet or crypto”

Header Data

From: alexlh@yourchoice.nl (Alex Le Heux)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: d7bb84d16db8f40a61de1d04974b7d97b77e565c97948382158a82071e56bbce
Message ID: <Mutt.19971001191622.alexlh@sarah.yc>
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 01:41:48 +0800

Raw message

From: alexlh@yourchoice.nl (Alex Le Heux)
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 01:41:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: "Show me an example of terrorists using the Internet or crypto"

In article <34302d8d.8163438@newshost.cyberramp.net> you wrote:

[lots of ranting deleted]

: Banning guns because criminals might use them equates to banning
: encryption because criminals might use it.  And if you really believe
: that both should be banned, then perhaps you should be banned from
: using oxygen, because criminals breath it too.

You people just don't get it do you? A gun has one purpose: To kill. Just like
any other tool, a gun, if it is available _will_ be used at some point.

So making sure there are lots of guns around only serves to make a lot of
people very dead. This is a Bad Thing.

Gun control laws are not the issue. It's a matter of mentality. In Europe,
where we have rather strict guncontrol laws, and have had them for a long
time a decent human being will not even think of shooting someone else. In the
US, where guns are tradition and part of the American way, many people would
not think twice before shooting someone. The result of this is that the
number of people getting killed by guns is enourmous, be they criminals,
little kids, old grannies, or presidents.

This sucks.

We are not trying to export our stupidity, we're just trying to explain to
you how we live. We live in a place where we don't even have to think about
getting a gun, because the chances of us encountering a gun in the hands
of an adversary are negligible.

Wake up and smell the coffee, dude. If you have lots of guns around, you're
gonna end up with lots of people getting shot.

Alex

---
/// I dabble in techno-house and sometimes,
/// I do that badass hip-hop thang...
/// But the F U N K gets me every time!

Thread