1997-10-14 - Suicides don’t forfeit their property

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dc4c08d392f7e4235778014e0d355c4f0758e6c8493b84eebf3361da11b0e318
Message ID: <v03102800b06881a010f4@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <zean5y0o3WJQMrNa81vCCw==@bureau42.ml.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-14 02:16:12 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:16:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:16:12 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Suicides don't forfeit their property

At 4:42 PM -0700 10/13/97, bureau42 Anonymous Remailer wrote:
>Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com> wrote:
>
>> Thought some of you might care to know that James A. Michner the Pulitzer
>> prize winning author who lives here in Austin, Tx. has decided to take
>> himself off the kidney dialysis machine that has been keeping him alive.
>
>The same organizations who seek to banish the
>Suicide Doctor Kevorkian are probably up in arms
>over this announcement.
>
>"This should be illegal!"
>
>"Keep him alive!"
>
>Suicide is illegal in most "democracies" for one
>reason - so that the State can confiscate the
>material goods of the deceased.

This would be a nice example if it were true. But it isn't true in the
U.S., for example.  I don't know the situation in France, the U.K.,
Germany, etc., but at least in the U.S. this is generally not so.

In California, and in other states I suspect, suicide has nothing to do
with probate. Were I to kill myself tonight, my heirs would inherit as if I
had died of some disease, or been murdered by the Thought Police.

(ObAproposOfNothing, I was out working in my yard last night, with Monterey
and Pacific Grove gloriously visible in the distance. Had I been looking
with my telescope or binoculars, I could've seen John Denver's plane go
down.)

--Tim May