1997-10-13 - Re: CMR paves the road to GAK, and provides no corporate security.

Header Data

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
To: “Attila T. Hun” <attila@primenet.com>
Message Hash: e5ad4e8674fa84c9909623431da630a1a85be2e6e6053687ccb2ece6283bf9a9
Message ID: <3442AA75.A8E@dev.null>
Reply To: <19971013.170615.attila@hun.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-13 23:20:20 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:20:20 +0800

Raw message

From: TruthMonger <tm@dev.null>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:20:20 +0800
To: "Attila T. Hun" <attila@primenet.com>
Subject: Re: CMR paves the road to GAK, and provides no corporate security.

Attila T. Hun wrote:

>         c)  PGP today can meet the requirements of GAK, CAK, CMR, or
>             just about any format you wish --and make corporate control
>             a reality.
>
>             I could have a crude, but workable control program which would
>             prevent the use of pgp standalone as well --and I could have it
>             up and running by tonight.
>
>             secondly, add a few modifications to sendmail, and trying to
>             slip one through the system is history.
>
>     stating that CMR leads to GAK is the same argument that mary jane
>     starts the victim on the road to horse.

  One problem is that Corporations are learning that it is in their best
interests, and moreover, *possible*, to computerize access to private
employee information both on and off the jobsite.
  As well, corporations share information amongst themselves that they
do not share with even the employee in question.

  There was the case of a man who tested positive for AIDS when getting
a physical, etc., for company health insurance. The health insurer
turned him down for coverage, and wouldn't tell him why, although they
told his employer and every other health agency in the world. The man's
wife contacted AIDS much later and is now going to die, as well.

  Companies exist who *require* their employees to put in long, unpaid
hours, center their life around the company, yet regard all of the
employees communications, even during *unpaid* time, to be owned by
them. Then they will turn around and fire said employee when they
read his/her private email and find out there is a history of cancer
in the family, or some such, even if it is in their imagination.
  There are already cases of people being denied health coverage
because of 'pre-existing' conditions, based on the fact that their
company communications revealed that their great-grandfather had the
same disease, etc.

  These are just small examples off the top of my head, but I know I
see more and more use of private information gleaned from inside and
outside companies to determine everything from health coverage to
promotions.
  I personally know of a woman who has been consistently denied
promotions because her company's investigation of her revealed that
many of her female relatives have a large number of children. When
she changed jobs, that information was actually sent to her new
employer. (Perhaps she could spend the next ten years of her life
suing someone/everyone, but that's no way to live.)

  The strange shit is already happening, and will increase, as the
Corporations feel that what is good for the Government Gander is
good for the Corporate Goose.

TruthMonger

Thread