1997-10-30 - Re: DEA trying to subpoena book dealers

Header Data

From: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: tcmay@got.net (Tim May)
Message Hash: f46036d1912f8e1bc9d516e32c00dde9b63f3acc4321186c29047ba69bbd2dff
Message ID: <199710301745.RAA20069@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <v03102806b07e577ec20a@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-30 17:54:48 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 01:54:48 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 01:54:48 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Tim May)
Subject: Re: DEA trying to subpoena book dealers

Tim May wrote:
> At 8:43 AM -0700 10/30/97, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
> >Tim May wrote:
> >>
> >> And so it goes. This is why I have 3000 rounds of .223 stashed away, and
> >> several loaded weapons readily available. And an early warning system in
> >> case the night ninjas decide my house needs to be raided before dawn.
> >
> >What kind of early warning system is it, technically?
>
> Well, now that wouldn't be very smart of me, would it, to tell the world
> where my defensive measures are? (I'm willing to let would-be ninjas know
> that I won't take a no-knock raid without fighting back, as this may deter
> them, in classic game-theoretic terms, but not to tell them precise details
> of my defenses.)
>
> Check the ads in the gun and survival mags for ideas. Seismic (footfall,
> vehicle) detectors are affordable, but hard to monitor on a 24/7 basis.
> Simple photolectric vehicle detectors are useful. In my case, I have a
> private driveway about 100 meters long as the only access to my house. Not
> to hard to rig up methods to warn of vehicles approaching...harder to warn
> of men approaching on foot. And even harder if they come up through the
> brush and chapparal on the other 3 sides.

Which is what any sensible attacker would do anyway.

How about a big dog (living in a doghouse or inside the home) that is
properly trained? I think that it is the best and most sensitive early
warning system.

> >Another question about home defense: it must be really inconvenient
> >to perform all these self-defense actions naked, which would obviously
> >happen during these night raids and robberies.
> >
> >Is that a problem, and if yes, what are the solutions?
>
> The usual advice is to secure one's bedroom for immediate invasion. (My
> bedroom is on the second floor, too.) This helps with burglars as well as
> with ninjas. For example, lock the bedroom door. This will slow down
> attackers, who first have to gain access to the main house, then have to
> get in the bedroom. The noise from the first step should provide valuable
> seconds of awakening, grabbing a gun, etc. I don't think a locked bedroom
> door will stop an entry team from getting inside in a matter of seconds,
> but every second helps.

How about reinforced metal sheet doors? THose are not supposed to be too
expensive and can be made to look pretty.

> (Experts also advise that homeowners facing such assaults "stay put,"
> unless, of course, they have to defend other family members in other rooms.)

Are there any legal ramifications (like liability in case of death of
the intruders) if the homeowner gets out of the locked bedroom and shoots
the attackers?

> And ignore the advice from the Consumer Protection Safety Commission, etc.,
> to lock all guns up in safes or vaults or closets. A gun locked up in a gun
> safe can't be gotten to when it's really needed, can it?

Depends on a safe, really.

My understanding of all this, which is pretty limited, is that safes are
a good idea for storing things when the homeowner is not home or does not
immediately control access to valuable things.

> Suzie from finding the gun. For children old enough to understand orders,
> and what guns are, tell them exactly what a gun does, show them, educate
> them, and warn them to NEVER touch the gun or show it to their friends

I would never follow any fucking orders from my parents.

	- Igor.

Thread