1997-10-06 - One More Donna Rice Ad Hominem (Was Re: “Fear and loathing ofcyberspace not uncommon”)

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f4eb53021fe0cb7b4244d5f50e43c4849972b80bbc994713c9e6a85f219fb061
Message ID: <v0311077eb05ef1858c46@[139.167.130.248]>
Reply To: <v03007805b05ee9830866@[204.254.22.76]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-06 20:30:31 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 04:30:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 04:30:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: One More Donna Rice Ad Hominem (Was Re: "Fear and loathing ofcyberspace not uncommon")

At 3:16 pm -0400 on 10/6/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> [I just got back from Fox News, where I was on with someone from the
> Chicago Bar and Donna Rice-Hughes (yes, that Donna Rice).

I just blew Diet Coke out of my nose again, remembering the first thing
which got me thinking about the speed of information propagation across
financial networks ;-).

To wit, a Donna Rice joke related to me by someone who had heard it on the
"hoot-n-holler" line from the trading room in New York the very morning the
'Monkey Business' picture of Ms Rice, sitting on Gary Hart's, um, lap, went
across the news wires.

The joke was:

Q. What did Donna Rice say she was doing when she left Gary Hart's house?
A. She said she was taking a poll. <hyuk!>

Later, I learned that a friend of mine from my college days at Mizzou,
Brian Smith, got the Pulitzer for that Monkey Business picture. Somewhere,
Mr. Pulitzer was smiling, I bet. Just exactly the kind of yellow journalism
Pulitzer made all his money doing...

Mizzou, of course, is the World's First Journalism School, and I went there
in the late 1970's when we all *knew* that Woodward and Bernstein had saved
the country...

Of course, that made all the journo school folks completely insufferable,
but, unfortunately, only in hindsight...

What? Yes, in fact, I *was* a Liberal Until Graduation. How could you tell?

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>

Thread