1997-10-24 - Re: CMR versus GAK? (fwd) > Right to monitor

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@invweb.net>
To: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Message Hash: fc267b36d7acea56f2a622ca1b6c061f134f565ef66a532fb52cffd6a2f1d6a7
Message ID: <199710241408.KAA06691@users.invweb.net>
Reply To: <199710241400.JAA23475@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-24 14:16:13 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 22:16:13 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 22:16:13 +0800
To: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Subject: Re: CMR versus GAK? (fwd) > Right to monitor

In <199710241400.JAA23475@einstein.ssz.com>, on 10/24/97
   at 09:00 AM, Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com> said:

> [...]

So long as they are in someone elses home they do not. This is not an
issue of harm to the child this is a issue of it's my house and if you
don't like it get out.

> -  do operators of vehicles on public roads have an inherent right to
>    privacy about the vehicle?

The very nature of acting in public removes any expectation of privacy.

> -  do businesses have the right to monitor the uses that their systems
>    are put to?

Of course.

> -  do public officials have an inherent right to privacy about their
>    actions related to their office?

Nope, public officials are employees of the citizens. As such the citizens
have a right to monitor what they do.

>etc. ad nausium...

>These various issues can be broken down into two simple questions that
>once answered genericaly can be applied to the specific cases.

>The bottem line is:

>Does the owner of a resource have an inherent right to control that
>resource and if so what are the boundaries?

Yes, and the boundaries should be very few. Things like just because you
own a hammer doesn't give you the right to hit people over the head. But
as far as setting policies on how a resource can be used and what
conditions must be met before using them it should be without limit. If
you don't like it the don't use it and go get your own.

>Does the user of a resource have rights outside the purvue of the owner
>of that resource and if so what are the boundaries?

No they do not. If the user of a resource does not like the conditions set
by the owner for the use of that resource then they should not use it.

>        The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there
>        be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.
>
>                                           -Alan Greenspan-

Never truer words were spoken.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii