1997-11-02 - Re: effective GACK fighting

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Blanc <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 1082bf7622c4caed9a53f6932c2e8dd276f759efbc96e70860f068b79109da09
Message ID: <v03102802b081a429b97f@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19971101195003.0068de90@cnw.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-02 04:38:44 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 12:38:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 12:38:44 +0800
To: Blanc <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: effective GACK fighting

At 8:50 PM -0700 11/1/97, Blanc wrote:

>I'm agreeing with Vlad (euwwwww), mainly because I've had the same idea for
>a long time, about the effect of winning intellectual battles in a
>courtroom.   This is a prime location for the airing-out of ideas,

Where have you folks been the last couple of years? Given that the list has
been discussing the Bernstein case (and 30 of us even attended some of
Judge Patel's hearings in SF), and the Junger and Karn cases have been
extensively reported, and the CDA was overturned, I'd certainly say court
battles have been a priority for a long time.

In fact, the EFF has more or less officially de-emphasized legislative work
in favor of spending more time and money on court cases. The EFF was, of
course, deeply involved in the Bernstein case.

I'm not sure what Detweiler's point was, as I only saw his comment through
Blanc's quotes, but if he was calling for more of a legal focus, I think
this was realized by many a few years ago.

Certainly I don't know of any Cypherpunks pushing for legislative
solutions. Most of us have explicitly condemned the legislative actions,
realzing that Congress can only make things worse.

--Tim May