1997-11-16 - “No one complains” / Stylometry

Header Data

From: Randall Farmer <rfarmer@HiWAAY.net>
To: N/A
Message Hash: 12c87bf96330c5f3f89ac16c96c626b1f83f4ae76c57f0e64348adb829d99efe
Message ID: <Pine.OSF.3.96.971114204711.24140A-100000@fly.HiWAAY.net>
Reply To: <199711150104.TAA01930@harrier.sasknet.sk.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-16 03:22:37 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 11:22:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Randall Farmer <rfarmer@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 11:22:37 +0800
Subject: "No one complains" / Stylometry

> No one complains.  Apparently everyone with an ounce of moral sense has left
> the list long ago.

Silence doesn't necessarily denote agreement, especially from someone (for
example, me :) who avoids political posts altogether...

That stylometry thing (figuring out who wrote a message from its content)
seems to be a big problem for people using remailers. Initially, I thought you
could avoid it by using some software to tinker with your words. Although that
can confuse some attacks, there are still author-dependent things you can't
hide so easily. For example, someone with a sufficiently big sample of your
writing (i.e., all a nym's public traffic) could measure, say, the number words
per sentence, or how likely you are to use certain punctuation/function words,
and use that to match it to something you wrote under your own name. And the
measurement part isn't rocket science, either -- I slapped together a simple
stylometer from basic UNIX tools (sed, sort, uniq, grep) and a calculator, and
it appears to actually _work_.

(In addition to being able to say two messages are by the same person, it looks
like you can also tell a little bit about the author, but as for how much and
what...?)

Randall Farmer
    rfarmer@hiwaay.net
    http://hiwaay.net/~rfarmer