1997-11-18 - Re: Report on UN conference on Internet and racism

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Peter Herngaard <pethern@inet.uni2.dk>
Message Hash: 1490829d721cb4173aa8e04fdaa29267d07f446e63b39d458b665ce923fd4aa7
Message ID: <v0300780db097ccdea2d8@[168.161.105.216]>
Reply To: <v03007808b097c592eba8@[168.161.105.216]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-18 23:11:12 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 07:11:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 07:11:12 +0800
To: Peter Herngaard <pethern@inet.uni2.dk>
Subject: Re: Report on UN conference on Internet and racism

My take on it is that overseas citizens have no Constitutional rights.
However ISPs in the U.S. have rights that U.S. laws recognize and protect.

If a U.S. law prevented an ISP from contracting to put a web site online,
it would be like a law that prevented a U.S. book company from publishing a
book penned by a German. Or the Netly News from publishing an article
written by our London correspondent. Such a law would be facially
unconstitutional.

Perhaps the analogy between an ISP and publisher is inexact, but that's the
type of analysis I'd pursue.

-Declan

At 23:33 +0100 11/18/97, Peter Herngaard wrote:
>Does the First Amendment prevent the Congress from passing
>a law that would make it illegal for anyone who is outside the United
>States to
>set up a web site in the U. S. in violation of a local speechcode?
>For example, a German nazi organization could establish a WWW site in
>California out of reach
>of German law.
>Would it be constitutional to make a law barring  foreign citizens from
>violating the speech
>codes of their home countries using a U. S. ISP?

Thread