1997-11-05 - church of crypto anarchy (Re: Taxing Churches for their views? Bad idea. (fwd))

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: tcmay@got.net
Message Hash: 232fc5a395409b1177f6d264f4ff550c2476ec87892bfd0f15130da137e6f378
Message ID: <199711052325.XAA12486@server.test.net>
Reply To: <v03102800b0866998c9a9@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-05 23:30:48 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 07:30:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 07:30:48 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net
Subject: church of crypto anarchy (Re: Taxing Churches for their views? Bad idea. (fwd))

Seems to me that the distinction that churches are exempt from taxes
partly hinges on their non-profit, or not-for-profit status.

Now it's nice for those who can get tax breaks, as we surely all could
do with a few tax breaks after the double and triple taxation effects
which Tim describes.

But really it does seem kind of artificial -- what is a church, who
gets to decide, and as TruthMonger said who gets to decide on which
church status gets revoked because of statements which annoy the rule
maker.

Can I be a church and not pay taxes too?  (eg. Can I claim to be a
member of `The Cult of the Dead Cow' or whatever and not pay taxes?)

Scientologists are a fine example of a "church" which is largely
profit motivated.

Even if you drew the line at non-profit organisations that is easily
manipulated -- non-profits can pay good wages, and siphon money out in
other creative ways.  (Like those TV evangelical Bible bashers with
their fleets of Rolls Royces who get found out and disgraced now and
then.)

The whole thing is a mess, loop holes everywhere, complicated rules
will get written, etc.

Now it is an interesting question as to whether it is a good idea to
encourage governments to tax churches or not.  Taxation is a weapon.
Are the churches doing anything useful to our cause?  I think not on
average... religious right helped fuel the CDA, and is busting for
another one (cf far right censorship woman cross posting from
fight-censorship).

Not taxing them is subsidising their activities.

Can we start a `church of crypto anarchy' and have people make tax
exempt donations to fund over throwing the state by undermining
governments ability to collect taxes?

Yeah, right.

Adam
--