1997-11-15 - Re: Tim May’s offensive racism (was: about RC4)

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 3409fdeaf7907f9c126c26e822c60f1fc45b99adc22e613d8d2c4374a47f33b5
Message ID: <v03102816b092a92800d7@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <62c0ce046ea812e50882fefc2a6c5667@anon.efga.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-15 02:30:58 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:30:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:30:58 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Tim May's offensive racism (was: about RC4)

At 6:54 PM -0700 11/14/97, Anonymous wrote:

>Tim May's post seems funny to you?  Not a racist comment?
>
>His imitation of a Japanese accent is purely offensive.  Paul, would
>you feel comfortable offering this kind of "humor" in a gathering which
>included Japanese visitors, perhaps potential customers?  That comment
>about kicking Japan's butt would really be humorous, wouldn't it?

Seems to me that people imitate the accents of others all the time. I just
saw Eddie Griffin on HBO, "Voodoo Child," doing some dead-on imitations of
honkeys, Brits, and other blacks. So?

>It is astonishing that people like you and William Geiger, who apparently
>make their living as consultants, feel so comfortable publicly approving
>racist comments directed against the Japanese.  Does William expect ever
>to work with a Japanese customer, after suggesting that Truman should
>have dropped additional atomic bombs on Japan?

Their likely clients don't given one whit what comments they may have made
on mailing lists. Hell, their clients don't even care if they're
card-carrying members of the KKK.

>Even if you share Tim May's lack of moral constraint, you presumably do
>not also share his wealth.  Pragmatic considerations alone should make
>you reluctant to be an apologist for racist comments, or in William's
>case to compound the error with shockingly offensive remarks of his own.

Utter nonsense. Business clients don't care. Nor do the Japs care, as they
have made vastly more racist remarks every day of every year for the past
half century or more.

Sensitive flowers such as yourself need to move out of places like
Amsterdam and get with the program.

--Tim May