1997-11-19 - Re: Search engines and https

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: shamrock@cypherpunks.to
Message Hash: 53c050244ff04053003dc9e8af615a338fa060a90f4058871f9bee50c9c7fd5c
Message ID: <199711190932.JAA00731@server.test.net>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.96.971120092606.11412A-100000@pakastelohi.cypherpunks.to>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-19 12:52:17 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 20:52:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 20:52:17 +0800
To: shamrock@cypherpunks.to
Subject: Re: Search engines and https

Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to> writes:
> While trying to submit the cypherpunks.to website to a few search engines,
> I noticed that none of them seems to support indexing of https URL's. Is
> anybody here aware of a search engine that indexes secure web pages? And
> if there is no such search engine, what are the thoughts on using https to
> deliberately keep pages out of indices?

One thing you could do is to have your server use http (no s) iff the
connection comes from a known search engine.  Reasonably easy to do --
set up an http server, and block all sites, and put in allow
directives for the search engines.

It's not as if you're insisting on client certs for the HTTPS server.

Adam

Thread