1997-11-28 - How to spot a hate group [was Re: Update On Jim Bell]

Header Data

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@USIT.NET>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 5fc28269c697270d182ea2c4d004bf57711a00a359bfe26e56917e9018592378
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.971128023335.1745A-100000@use.usit.net>
Reply To: <19971128.045405.attila@hun.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-28 07:45:38 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 15:45:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@USIT.NET>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 15:45:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: How to spot a hate group [was Re: Update On Jim Bell]

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Attila T. Hun wrote:
>     if the public defender's brief is filed under seal, it generally
>     discusses what the defendent has passed the government --in other
>     words: snitching on others in affairs related to the defendent or
>     even the names of people who the defendent feels might be part of
>     the overall problem to the government --sounds like most any active
>     cypherpunk to me as there are not too many happy with the government's
>     actions on amendments 1,2,4,5,6,8,10,14 for a starter. by the time
>     F{reeh,uck} gets through, there will be no bill of rights --Orwell
>     was a piker.
#From: "Clayton E. Cramer" <clayton_cramer@dlcc.com>
#Subject: the American Society of Criminology conference in San Diego
#Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:35:37 -0800

Well, it was an interesting experience. ...

Professor Joyce Malcolm of Bentley College in Massachusetts
was the chair of the panel on which I sat.  She showed me
something quite disturbing from another presentation that
she had attended.  The paper attempted to determine if the
Montana Militia could be considered a "hate group" or
not.  Among the methods by which they determined this was
examination of the phrases and concerned in Montana Militia
literature.  Among the phrases or subjects that would
classify a group as a "hate group" were:

1. Discussion of the Bill of Rights, especially the
Second Amendment.

2. Discussion of military oppression, in the U.S. or
elsewhere.

3. Discussion of the Framers of our government.

She showed me a copy of the criteria used by the criminologists
in question, and these were among the criteria.  I guess
the ACLU and Amnesty Internationl are hate groups also.
Very disturbing.

--

-

Thread