1997-11-17 - Re: PGPsdk is now free for non-commercial use

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Lucky Green <alan@clueserver.org>
Message Hash: 606ab2028f888524eea68f704d6c82a42b8c2e8ffd0f5cd75fd6257b89b0b93f
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19971116212137.00730320@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199711170358.TAA14061@www.ctrl-alt-del.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-17 06:04:46 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:04:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:04:46 +0800
To: Lucky Green <alan@clueserver.org>
Subject: Re: PGPsdk is now free for non-commercial use

At 08:01 PM 11/16/1997 -0800, Lucky Green wrote:
>At 07:47 PM 11/16/97 -0800, Alan Olsen wrote:
>>>From what I have read of the license it is against the license
>>agreement to ship the libraries on a CD of shareware products
>>for which a price is charged.

>o There is typically an exemption in license agreements for distribution of
>software that charges nominal media costs. If PGP overlooked this, it can
>be added trivially. No need to get excited about it.

I assume it was deliberate - it goes out of its way to say that you
can't use it to generate revenues, directly or indirectly,
and even including it on a disk of freeware that you sell
would appear to count, as would providing the free widget for
free download on a web page with commercial advertising banners.

It's far more restrictive than the previous PGP policies,
and not being able to use it in my office building is even more
annoying than not being able to use it to encrypt work email.

>o The current license agreement for the PGPsdk is for use freeware only.
>The license agreement for shareware has not yet been made public (=been
>written).

I'm not bothered by the freeware permissions not applying to shareware;
it would be nice if they negotiate a low enough price for shareware
authors to use, but if you're going to make money off their code,
I don't mind if PGP wants their cut.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Regular Key PGP Fingerprint D454 E202 CBC8 40BF  3C85 B884 0ABE 4639

Thread