1997-11-25 - quotes2.htm#During-the-War:

Header Data

From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com
Message Hash: 6583eb395f93d88607fc9487c74357d9251ee6d92a5a4a39f54b3a6853fe2c6a
Message ID: <199711250528.XAA16560@einstein.ssz.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:26:18 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:26:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com
Subject: quotes2.htm#During-the-War:

   Revolutionary War Quotations

   By Kristen Ballard

   Contents:

   Introduction | Before the War | During the War | Conclusion |
   Bibliography

   Introduction:

   Many famous quotes came from the Revolutionary War. Quotes were said
   by people to express and tell other people their feelings. Many quotes
   effected people during battles, and some quotes led to the beginning
   of some battles.

   Before The War:

   "If this be treason, make the most of it!"

   This quote was said by Patrick Henry at the time of the Stamp Act in
   1964. His purpose for saying this was to defend himself. This quote
   helped from a patriot group called the Stamp Act Congress.

   "If our Trade be taxed, why not our Lands, or Produce... in short,
   everything we possess? They tax us without having legal
   representation."

   This quote was said by Samuel Adams after the Stamp Act of 1765. His
   purpose for saying this was to make people go against the idea of
   having the trade taxed. The effect it had was it made other Americans
   think about what had happened and many became discontent.

   "The distinctions between Virginians, Pennsylvanians, New Yorkers, and
   New Englanders are no more. I AM NOT A VIRGINIAN, BUT AN AMERICAN!"

   This quote was said by Patrick Henry in 1774 right after the Boston
   Tea Party had taken place. His purpose for saying this was to keep
   self-interest from destroying the common effort of some Americans. The
   effect it had was that it made American colonists work together and it
   angered the British.

   "... the very tails of American sheep are so are so laden with wool that
   each sheep has little wagon to support its tail and to keep it from
   trailing on the ground."

   This quote was written by Benjamin Franklin after "Braddock's Defeat"
   in the London Chronicle. His purpose for saying this was to mock the
   English. It made the English mad and brought up several arguments
   about governing the colonies in America.

   "... I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me
   liberty or give me death!"

   This quote was said by Patrick Henry at a meeting of the First
   Continental Congress in 1774. His purpose for saying this was to make
   the Americans fight for liberty and independence. The effect it had
   was it played an important part on the making of the Declaration of
   Independence.

   During the War:

   "Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it
   begin here."

   This quote was said by Captain John Parker after Paul Revere's ride in
   April of 1775 in the town of Lexington. His purpose for saying this
   was that he didn't want to start the war, but if the British did, they
   would fight. This began the Revolutionary War when one shot went off
   because all of the British men started firing furiously.

   "..Should the colonies send an army of two or three thousand man and
   attack Montreal, we should have little to fear from the Canadians or
   Indians, and would easily make a conquest of that place... "

   This quote was written by Ethan Allen in 1775 after the war had begun.
   His purpose for saying this was because he wanted to fight the British
   and to tell his army that they shouldn't be afraid of the Indians or
   the Canadians because they could defeat them. This made it impossible
   for restoration of harmony.

   "I move that these united colonies ought to be free and independent..."

   This quote was said by Richard Henry Lee in 1776 at the writing of the
   Deceleration of Independence. His purpose for saying this was to tell
   how the American colonists felt about freedom and independence.

   "...On our side, the war should be defensive... we are now in a
   [dangerous] position. Declining an engagement to flight may throw
   discouragement over the minds of many, but when the fate of America
   may be at Stake, we should continue the war as long as possible..."

   This quote was written by George Washington in 1776. His purpose for
   saying this was to tell the Congress that the only way that the small
   Continental Army could win was to fight defensively, and to attack
   only when victory was certain.

   "Sink or swim, live or die, survive or perish."

   This quote was said be John Adams in 1776 just before the writing of
   the Declaration of Independence. The reason he said this was because
   he was standing up for the idea of the colonies being independent.

   "These are the times that try men's souls..."

   This quote was written by Thomas Paine after the writing of the
   Declaration of Independence in a forty-seven page pamphlet called
   Common Sense. His purpose for saying this was to try to persuade the
   Americans to demand independence, rather then try to patch up their
   differences with Great Britain. The effect it had was it made George
   Washington start to prepare his army.

   "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."

   This famous quote was said by Nathan Hale at the retreat of the
   British from New York in August of 1776. His purpose for saying this
   was these were his last words before he was hanged. This quote showed
   the spirit of the fighting Americans.

   "May it please Your Honor, I surrounded them!"

   This quote was said by Sam Clowney at the Battle of Camden. He said
   this because he was fooling five Tories into believing that he had a
   whole army with him. The effect it had was Clowney took them prisoner
   and he impressed Colonel Thomas.

   "Where a goat can go, a man can go; and where a man can go, he can
   drag a gun."

   This quote was said by Gentleman Johnny Burgoyne at the Battle at
   Mount Defiance. He said this to encourage his troops to drag their
   cannons and weapons up Sugarloaf Mountain (Mount Defiance). The effect
   it had was General St. Clair ordered the patriots to abandon the fort
   because they knew that they were at the mercy of the men on Sugarloaf
   Mountain.

   "...Let us die here rather than retreat."

   This quote was said by Alexander Hamilton at the Battle of Monmouth.
   He said this to convince General Lee not to retreat. The effect it had
   was it gave General Lee hope. It also caused the British to retreat
   and sneak away to New York.

   "Tie up overcoats, pick touch-holes, fresh prime, and be ready to
   FIGHT!"

   This quote was said by Ben Cleveland at the Battle of Kings Mountain.
   He said this as the Americans were going out to fight the British. He
   said this to prepare his men for the battle. The effect it had was it
   made the Americans aware of how badly Cleveland wanted to win this
   battle. The Americans surrounded the British and took six hundred
   prisoners.

   "...I know the cause it desperate; but Sir, we must either quit the
   country or attack."

   This quote was said by George Rogers Clark at the Battle of Vincennes
   in February of 1779. His reason for saying this was to convince
   Patrick Henry that Clark and his men must attack the Hair Buyer and
   his men or give up completely. The effect it had was the Indians fled
   because they believed Clark had about a thousand men at the bottom of
   a hill.

   "I have not yet begun to fight!"

   This quote was said by John Paul Jones at the battle between the
   Bonhomme Richard and the Serapis in September of 179. His purpose for
   saying this was to show that he was not going to give up. The effect
   it had was the battle continued for two more hours and soon after
   that, the Serapis toppled into the water, forcing Pearson to
   surrender.

   "I request you will witness to the world that I die like a brave man."

   This quote was said by John André at the attack from West Point in
   August of 1780. He said this because he was hanged when he was
   pronounced a spy and even though he didn't do the crime he didn't
   fight to get free. It had a big effect on certain people. Sir Henry
   Clinton locked himself in his room for three days, and the English
   newspapers raged over the hanging. They called it murder.

   "We began a contest for liberty ill provided with the means for the
   war, relying on our patriotism to supply the deficiency. We expected
   to encounter many wants and distressed... we must bear the present evils
   and fortitude..."

   This quote was said by George Washington at the battle of West Point
   in 1781. He wrote this because he was telling the army and the people
   on the home front not to give up or lose heart in the battle.

   Conclusion:

   Many quotations had important effects on most of the people in the
   Revolutionary War. They made some people very mad, some happy, some
   confused, and they even made some people proud. Quotes had a lot of
   thought put into them. Some people have to this awhile before they can
   understand them.

   Bibliography:

   Ingraham, Leonard W. An Album of the Americans Revolution.

   New York, New York: Franklin Watts, 1971

   Lawson, Don. The American Revolution; America's Fist War for
   Independence.

   New York, New York: Abenlard-Schuman, 1974

   Reeder, Colonel Red. The Story of the Revolutionary War.

   New York, New York: Meredith Press, 1959

   Table of Contents | Projects Menu | Greece Home Page

Thread